Lasted edited by Andrew Munsey, updated on June 14, 2016 at 9:24 pm.
Adapted from http://sacred-texts.com/nth/mks/mks04.htm with pagination and other web-irrelevant info removed. Buy this Book at Amazon.com
: "It's the spiritual equivalent of harvesting the wheelwork of nature -- tapping into the infinite power of the universal consciousness / God."-- Congress:Founder:Sterling D. Allan, Oct. 1, 2104
With comments by Congress:Founder:Sterling D. Allan, October 1, 2014.
The Master Key System, by Charles F. Haanel, 
TELLS upon what possession is based, explains the cause of all gain, explains the cause of loss as well as all other experiences in life. It explains how power is secured. It tells of a world within and how this world is governed. It explains how the solution for every problem in life may be found. It tells how practical men and women find the courage, power, hope, enthusiasm and confidence by which they are given the intelligence and wisdom to make their dreams come true. It tells how more efficiency is obtained and retained, and how our future may be placed under our own control instead of being at the mercy of any capricious or uncertain external power. It explains the cause of every condition, the reason for every experience, the origin of all power, and why all power is absolutely under our own control. [SDA Comment: This may sound blasphemous, until you read on, and realize that it is all about tapping into the power of God, here called "universe", for God is universal and the objective of such power is service and uplifting goodness.]
Would you bring into your life more power? Get the power consciousness. More health? Get the health consciousness. More happiness? Get the happiness consciousness. Live the spirit of these things until they become yours by right. It will then become impossible to keep them from you. The things of the world are fluid to a power within man by which he rules them.
You need not acquire this power. You already have it. But you want to understand it you want to use it you want to control it you want to impregnate yourself with it, so that you can go forward and carry the world before you.
Day by day, as you go on and on, as you gain momentum, as your inspiration deepens, as your plans crystallize, as you gain understanding, you will come to realize that this world is no dead pile of stones and timber, but that it is a living thing! It is made up of the beating hearts of humanity. It is a thing of life and beauty.
It is evident that it requires understanding to work with material of this description, but those who come into this understanding are inspired by a new light, a new force, they gain confidence and greater power each day, they realize their hopes and their dreams come true, life has a deeper, fuller, clearer meaning than before.
1. That much gathers more is true on every plane of existence, and that loss leads to greater loss is equally true. [SDA comment: Positive feedback loop versus negative feedback loop.]
2. Mind is creative, and conditions, environment and all experiences in life are the result of our habitual or predominant mental attitude.
3. The attitude of mind necessarily depends upon what we think. Therefore, the secret of all power, all achievement and all possession depends upon our method of thinking.
4. This is true because we must "be" before we can "do" and we can "do" only to the extent that we "are," and what we "are" depends upon what we "think." [As a man thinketh, so is he. -- Jesus]
5. We cannot express powers that we do not possess. The only way by which we may secure possession of power is to become conscious of power, and we can never become conscious of power until we learn that all power is from within.
6. There is a world within—a world of thought and feeling and power of light and life and beauty and, although invisible, its forces are mighty.
7. The world within is governed by mind. When we discover this world we shall find the solution for every problem, the cause for every effect and since the world within is subject to our control, all laws, of power and possession are also within our control.
8. The world without is a reflection of the world within. What appears without is what has been found within. In the world within may be found infinite Wisdom, infinite Power, infinite Supply of all that is necessary, waiting for unfoldment, development and expression. If we recognize these potentialities in the world within they will take form within the world without.
9. Harmony in the world within will be reflected in the world without by harmonious conditions, agreeable surroundings, the best of everything. It is the foundation of health, and a necessary essential to all greatness, all power, all attainment, all achievement and all success.
10. Harmony in the world within means the ability to control our thoughts, and to determine for ourselves how any experience is to affect us.
11. Harmony in the world within results in optimism and affluence affluence within results in affluence without. [SDA Comment: Not affluence for the prideful purpose of looking down on people, for for the humble purpose of uplifting good things.]
12. The world without reflects the circumstances and the conditions of the consciousness within.
13. If we find wisdom in the world within, we shall have the understanding to discern the marvelous possibilities that are latent in this world within, and we shall be given the power to make these possibilities manifest in the world without.
14. As we become conscious of the wisdom in the world within we mentally take possession of this wisdom, and by taking mental possession we come into actual possession of the power and wisdom necessary to bring into manifestation the essentials necessary for our most complete and harmonious development.
15. The world within is the practical world in which the men and women of power generate courage, hope, enthusiasm, confidence, trust and faith, by which they are given the fine intelligence to see the vision and the practical skill to make the vision real. [SDA Comment: And by which they attract to themselves the people, talent, angelic guidance, intervention, and resources needed to manifest the vision.]
16. Life is an enfoldment, not accretion. What comes to us in the world without is what we already possess in the world within. [SDA Comment: I'd have to disagree here. Life without is an accretion based on our increasing/growing ability to harness the power from within.]
17. All possession is based on consciousness. All gain is the result of an accumulative consciousness. All loss is the result of a scattering consciousness.
18. Mental efficiency is contingent upon harmony discord means confusion therefore, he who would acquire power must be in harmony with Natural Law.
19. We are related to the world without by the objective mind. The 'brain' is the organ of this mind, and the 'cerebro-spinal system' of nerves puts us in conscious communication with every part of the body. This system of nerves responds to every sensation of light, heat, odor, sound and taste.
20. When this mind thinks correctly, when it understands the truth, when the thoughts sent through the cerebro-spinal nervous system to the body are constructive, these sensations are pleasant, harmonious.
21. The result is that we build strength, vitality and all constructive forces into our body but it is through this same objective mind that all distress, sickness, lack, limitation and every form of discord and inharmony is admitted to our lives. It is therefore through the objective mind, by wrong thinking, that we are related to all destructive forces.
22. We are related to the world within by the subconscious mind. The 'solar plexus' is the organ of this mind the 'sympathetic system' of nerves presides over all subjective sensations, such as joy, fear, love, emotion, respiration, imagination and all other subconscious phenomena. It is through the subconscious that we are connected with the Universal Mind and brought into relation with the Infinite constructive forces of the Universe.
23. It is the co-ordination of these two centers of our being, and the understanding of their functions, which is the great secret of life. With this knowledge we can bring the objective and subjective minds into conscious co-operation and thus co-ordinate the finite and the infinite. Our future is entirely within our own control. It is not at the mercy of any capricious or uncertain external power. [SDA Comment: As we come into harmony with the infinite/God, the infinite sustains us, enabling us to create a reality that is harmonious with God -- to create the kingdom of God on Earth, first individually, then locally, then globally.]
24. All agree that there is but one Principle or Consciousness pervading the entire Universe, occupying all space, and being essentially the same in kind at every point of its presence. It is all powerful, all wisdom and always present. All thoughts and things are within Itself. It is all in all. [SDA Comment: Also known as God.]
25. There is but one consciousness in the universe able to think, and when it thinks its thoughts become objective things to it. As this Consciousness is omnipresent it must be present within every individual each individual must be a manifestation of that Omnipotent, Omniscient and Omnipresent Consciousness. [SDA Comment: Agency, or the right to choose for oneself is an underpinning principle of God so I wouldn't use the term "must be" but would, instead, phrase this: "has the right to be".]
26. As there is only one Consciousness in the Universe that is able to think, it necessarily follows that your consciousness is identical with the Universal Consciousness, or, in other words, all mind is one mind. There is no dodging this conclusion. [SDA Comment: I take issue with this wording. It takes an extremely complex concept and oversimplifies it -- dogmatically. Yes, the universal consciousness permeates the universe but different souls are on different levels of growth and development and manifestation of a higher consciousness. It is an unfolding process, based on the agency of the soul. Yes, we all have access to the full universal consciousness, but the extent to which we can do this is a function of the extent to which we apply ourselves -- which is a function of how far we have developed our soul through our choices over time.]
27. The consciousness that focuses in your brain cells is the same consciousness which focuses in the brain cells of every other individual. Each individual is but the individualization of the Universal, the Cosmic Mind.
28. The Universal Mind is static or potential energy it simply is it can manifest only through the individual, and the individual can manifest only through the Universal. They are one.
29. The ability of the individual to think is his ability to act on the Universal and bring it into manifestation. Human consciousness consists only in the ability of man to think. Walker says, "Mind in itself is believed to be a subtle form of static energy, from which arises the activities called 'thought,' which is the dynamic phase of mind. Mind is static energy, thought is dynamic energy—the two phases of the same thing." Thought is therefore the vibratory force formed by converting static mind into dynamic mind.
30. As the sum of all attributes is contained in the Universal Mind, which is Omnipotent, Omniscient and Omnipresent, these attributes must be present at all times in their potential form in every individual. Therefore, when the individual thinks, the thought is compelled by its nature to embody itself in an objectivity or condition which will correspond with its origin. [SDA Comment: Again, due to the principle of agency, I take issue with the wording "compelled". I also take issue with the omission that The Master Key System gives to dark elements that seek to negatively impact. Before us is a choice of which path to follow: tapping into the universal consciousness/God and aligning with it, or allowing the dark forces deter us from that. Universal goodness doesn't compel itself on us, it invites us to accept it.]
31. 'Every thought is therefore a cause, and every condition an effect for this reason it is absolutely essential that you control your thoughts so as to bring forth only desirable conditions.'
32. All power is from within, and is absolutely under your control it comes through exact knowledge and by the voluntary exercises of exact principles.
33. It should be plain that when you acquire a thorough understanding of this law, and are able to control your thought processes, you can apply it to any condition in other words, you will have come into conscious co-operation with Omnipotent law, which is the fundamental basis of all things.
34. The Universal Mind is the life principle of every atom which is in existence every atom is continually striving to manifest more life all are intelligent, and all are seeking to carry out the purpose for which they were created. [SDA Comment: Yes, there are many levels of soul development and what we call the "atom" is itself but a universe of more minute entities.]
35. A majority of mankind lives in the world without few have found the world within, and yet it is the world within that makes the world without. It is therefore creative, and everything which you find in your world without has been created by you in the world within. [SDA Comment: I disagree. We live in a world of many people creating the reality around them so our reality is a function of those combined creations. We can increase our influence on that combined creation by increasing our ability to harness and manifest the universal power of God, first in our immediate surroundings, then flowing outward as our creative power increases.]
36. The Master Key will bring you into a realization of power which will be yours when you understand this relation between the world without and the world within. The world within is the cause, the world without the effect to change the effect you must change the cause.
37. You will at once see that this is a radically new and different idea most men try to change effects by working with effects. They fail to see that this is simply changing one form of distress for another. To remove discord, we must remove the cause, and this cause can be found only in the world within.
38. All growth is from within. This is evident in all nature. Every plant, every animal, every human being is a living testimony to this great law, and the error of the ages is in looking for strength or power from without. [SDA Comment: I disagree. In the principle of the body of Christ, we each compose a certain portion of the whole and need to work in harmony with the other cells in the body of Christ. Each has a mission and we should seek not just to perform our own mission well, but to support those around us in accomplishing their missions well.]
39. The world within is the Universal fountain of supply, and the world without is the outlet to the stream. Our ability to receive depends upon our recognition of this Universal Fountain, this Infinite Energy of which each individual is an outlet, and so is one with every other individual. [SDA Comment: Like in the human body, the flow of blood that nourishes each cell is a complex system dependent on trillions of cells working in harmony. No man (or cell, in this analogy) is an island unto itself, but is part of a whole.]
40. Recognition is a mental process, mental action is therefore the interaction of the individual upon the Universal Mind, and as the Universal Mind is the intelligence which pervades all space and animates all living things, this mental action and reaction is the law of causation, but the principle of causation does not obtain in the individual but in the Universal Mind. It is not an objective faculty but a subjective process, and the results are seen in an infinite variety of conditions and experiences.
41. In order to express life there must be mind nothing can exist without mind. Everything which exists is some manifestation of this one basic substance from which and by which all things have been created and are continually being re-created.
42. We live in a fathomless sea of plastic mind substance. This substance is ever alive and active. It is sensitive to the highest degree. It takes form according to the mental demand. Thought forms the mold or matrix from which the substance expresses.
43. Remember that it is in the application alone that the value consists, and that a practical understanding of this law will substitute abundance for poverty, wisdom for ignorance, harmony for discord and freedom for tyranny, and certainly there can be no greater blessing than these from a material and social standpoint. [SDA Comment: These are good attributes that the author aspires to, and are a reason why I like the material -- promoting the development of good fruit.]
44. Now make the application Select a room where you can be alone and undisturbed sit erect, comfortably, but do not lounge let your thoughts roam where they will but be perfectly still for from fifteen minutes to half an hour continue this for three or four days or for a week until you secure full control of your physical being.
45. Many will find this extremely difficult others will conquer with ease, but it is absolutely essential to secure complete control of the body before you are ready to progress. In Part Two you will receive instructions for the next step in the meantime you must have mastered this one.
1. What is the world without in its relation to the world within?
The world without is a reflection of the world within.
2. Upon what does all possession depend?
All possession is based on consciousness.
3. How is the individual related to the objective world?
The individual is related to the objective world by the objective mind the brain is the organ of this mind.
4. How is he related to the Universal Mind?
He is related to the Universal Mind by the subconscious mind the Solar Plexus is the organ of this mind.
5. What is the Universal Mind?
The Universal Mind is the life principle of every atom which is in existence. [SDA Comment: Oversimplification, nebulous needs better articulation/synopsis. e.g. "Universal Mind" is the knowledge of God that fills the universe and is accessible to all.]
6. How can the Individual act on the Universal?
The ability of the individual to think is his ability to act upon the Universal and bring it into manifestation.
7. What is the result of this action and interaction?
The result of this action and inter-action is cause and effect every thought is a cause, and every condition an effect.
8. How are harmonious and desirable conditions secured?
Harmonious and desirable conditions are obtained by right thinking.
9. What is the cause of all discord, inharmony, lack and limitation?
Discord, inharmony, lack and limitation are the result of wrong thinking.
10. What is the source of all power?
The source of all power is the world within, the Universal Fountain of Supply, the Infinite Energy of which each individual is an outlet.
Those who have finished by making all others think with them have usually been those who began by daring to think for themselves. -- Colton.
Next: Part Two
There was an error working with the wiki: Code> Directory:Master Key System > Master Key System: Part One - Reprint of next chapter, with Sterling's commentary. "31. Every thought is therefore a cause, and every condition an effect for this reason it is absolutely essential that you control your thoughts so as to bring forth only desirable conditions." (PESWiki October 1, 2014)