PESWiki.com -- Pure Energy Systems Wiki: Finding and Facilitating the Best Exotic Free Energy Technologies
PESWiki News -- May 2007 Archive
May 31, 2007
- Engines > Reinventing the engine - Brad Raether has developed a new piston and cylinder wall design (WaveTech) that transforms linear power into rotary power 3x more efficiently than the 300 year old piston and crankshaft. Among the potential results: Production automobiles that get 75 to 100 miles per gallon, with minimal changes to their standard engines. (The Bulletin; May 22, 2007) (Thanks KeelyNet)
- Solar Vehicles / Hybrids > Using Solar Roofs To Power Hybrids - Solar Electrical Vehicles is adding a convex solar roof to hybrid cars like the Toyota Prius, to charge a supplemental battery. With the solar roof, the Prius can operate up to 20 miles per day in electric mode, improving fuel economy up to 29% at a cost of $2000-$4000. The company is also looking at ways to add the technology to electric Teslas. (TreeHugger; May 31, 2007)
- Non-Fossil Oil > Algae Oil > LiveFuels biocrude by 2010 - LiveFuels plans to cost-effectively produce large amounts of biocrude oil derived from algae by 2010. The company plans to then sell the oil to others, or as last resort, to refine it itself. Avoiding costly bioreactors and genetically modified algae, the company plans to grow vast amounts of biomass very cheaply in open ponds. (Inside Greentech; May 31, 2007)
- Engines / Transmissions / Vehicles > Miller-cycle Engine Improves Fuel Economy - Mazda has developed a Miller-cycle gasoline engine which employs delayed closing of the intake valves to reduce pumping losses and improve thermal efficiency. In combination with Mazda’s first continuously variable transmission (CVT), the Mazda2 will get 54 mpg US, an improvement of 20% over the current model. (Green Car Congress; May 31, 2007)
May 30, 2007
- Compressed Air > Engineair > ABC Interviews DiPietro of Engineair -- the Rotary Air-driven Engine - "Our motor delivers high torque and low rpm, very high efficiency, low noise and it's a fraction of the weight of a traditional piston motor. It is cheaper to produce and is better for the environment, as less material and energy is used in its production." (ABC, Australia; May 28, 2007)
- Batteries > Lead-Acid Battery Developers Targeting Hybrid Applications - Effpower is commercializing ceramic bipolar lead-acid batteries. The partitioning walls are made out of porous, lead-infiltrated ceramic (LIC) plates that have shown high corrosion resistance. A Honda Insight with the Effpower lead-acid battery pack outperformed the OEM NiMH pack in terms of fuel consumption. (Green Car Congress; May 30, 2007)
- Conservation / Magnet Motors > Magswitch - Switchable on/off permanent magnets control magnetic fields without the electric power required by electromagnets. It affords the ability to manufacture a low cost, switchable permanent magnetic device, replacing existing electromagnets to develop ecological sustainability and improved performance.
- Hydro > River > GE Run-of-River Hydroelectric Project - GE Energy Financial Services will invest in a 196-megawatt run-of-river hydroelectric project in Canada, developed by Plutonic Power. The project includes a 90-mile long transmission line for interconnection to the power grid. Unlike traditional hydro, run-of-river projects do not require damming of water. (Renewable Energy Access; May 30, 2007)
- EV > Electric Scooters > China's Cyclists Take Charge - The electric bike has rapidly become one of the most popular modes of transportation in China in the past few years. They will outsell cars by three times this year, due to ease of use, low sale price and high savings. Spectrum claims electric bikes carry a single driver with 15 to 20 times greater efficiency than that of an average small car. (AutoblogGreen; May 30, 2007)
- Fuel Efficiency > Vehicles > SuperLIGHT-CAR - 38 organizations from 9 european countries work together to bring lightweight automotive technologies to high volume car production. SuperLIGHT-CAR has a multi-material philosophy, striving to use the best material and manufacturing processes in terms of weight and cost minimization, while fulfilling automotive requirements such as stiffness, crash performance, fatigue and corrosion resistance.
May 29, 2007
- Thermal Electric > Acoustic Stove, Fridge, Generator Could Aid Third World - The "Stove for Cooking, Refrigeration and Electricity," or SCORE, could help improve the health and quality of life for the two billion or so people in the world who cook over open fires. The SCORE thermoacoustics technology promoted by a multi-institutional project converts heated gas into sound waves which can be used to cook, cool, and/or generate electricity.
- Solar Vehicles / Electric Vehicles > MW-Line - The Aquabus 1050 electrosolar boat can transport 24 passengers on lakes and rivers or up to 5 km offshore in silence, cleanliness and comfort. It is equipped with electrical propulsion and modern solar panels to provide operating costs that are 40 times less than with a Diesel engine.
- Storage / Hydrogen > Asemblon - Hydrnol acts as a liquid storage battery, storing low-cost hydrogen produced from excess power at standard temperatures and pressures, converting it back to hydrogen to meet peak power demands. It can can fuel transportation needs for diesel and propane boosting, hydrogen fuel cells and modified internal combustion engines.
- Air Conditioning > Central Coating Company - Sprayed polyurethane foam (SPF) insulation has an R factor of 6.25 per inch. The light colored exterior coating uses "cool roofing" technology, reducing air conditioning energy costs and "heat island" air pollution. Roof surface temperatures can be reduced up to 70 degrees F and electric bills can be reduced by up to 50%.
- Fuel Efficiency > Retrofits > Visteon Corp - Coil-On-Plug Ignition System mounts directly to the spark plug, matching the energy delivered by the coil to the requirements of the engine, based on engine speed and load. It provides improved fuel economy, lower emissions and reduced spark plug fouling compared to conventional ignition systems.
May 28, 2007
- Thermal Electric > CUBE Technology - The Personal Power Generator combines fuel and air inside a ceramic Micro-Furnace that produces a flameless heat source using any fuel such as Hydrogen, Propane, Butane, or Alcohols. An efficient Thermoelectric Module then converts this fuel energy into electricity with no moving parts to wear out or maintain.
- Fuel Efficient Vehicles > World's First Air-Powered Car by Next Summer - India’s largest automaker is set to produce 6000 zero-emissions Air Cars, which use compressed air to push its engine’s pistons, by August of 2008. The $12,700 CityCAT can hit 68 mph, has a range of 125 miles, and can be refuelled in a few minutes with custom air compressors at a cost of around $2. (Popular Mechanics; June 2007)
- Alt Fuels > Biodiesel > Neste will test NExBTL biodiesel in Sweden - Neste Oil is trying to perfect its next generation biomass to liquid (NExBTL) biodiesel, that has a more consistent quality and is more tolerant of cold temperatures than traditional biodiesel. The company announced a three year study to test emissions changes with different blends of NExBTL and conventional fuel. (AutoblogGreen; May 28, 2007)
- Hydro > River > npower renewables - UK renewable energy company developing run-of-river hydro projects in some of the most beautiful landscapes where environment and safety issues are major priorities. A fish pass can be incorporated into the weir design so that fish can continue to travel up and down the river.
May 26, 2007
- Hydrogen from Water > Cancer-Cure Radio Frequency Machine Turns Salt Water Into Fire - John Kanzius invented a radio wave machine in an attempt to kill cancer. While trying to desalinize salt water with the machine, the water started burning. The machine breaks down the hydrogen-oxygen bond in the water, igniting the hydrogen. (PESWiki; May 26, 2007)
- Alternative Fuels > LPP Combustion - Technology for Lean, Premixed, Prevaporized combustion of liquid fuels, to burn cleanly in natural gas-fired power turbines and other combustion devices. It converts liquid fuels such as kerosene, #2 fuel oil, coal liquids, ethanol, and biodiesel, into a synthetic natural gas, routed through the normal, natural gas piping and combustion system while producing low emissions similar to natural gas.
May 25, 2007
- Batteries / Hybrids > LTC plug-in Prius Hybrid gets 125+ mpg - Lithium Technology Corporation unveiled a retrofitted Toyota Prius with plug-in capabilities allowing for 125+ miles per gallon fuel efficiency, powered by the company’s lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) cells. LTC’s large format technology allows for more reliable battery systems with a significantly lower number of cells. (Gizmag; May 25, 2007)
- Fuel Efficiency > Retrofits > TAU Drag Reduction Device Cuts Fuel Costs - Tel Aviv University has developed a drag reduction device that can be fitted to the back of a truck or its trailer to increase fuel economy by as much as 10%, through suction and pulsed blowing of airflow. The device will cost $1000 to $2000 per unit, potentially saving the US trucking industry $400 million per year. (Tel Aviv University; May 20, 2007)
- Waste to Energy / Non-Fossil Oil > Dynamotive BioOil Production - Dynamotive Energy Systems has completed the initial production run of intermediate grade BioOil at its new generation plant in Guelph. Dynamotive plans to market this industrial fuel produced from cellulose waste as a green and cost competitive alternative to heating oil, fuel oil, natural gas and propane. (Renewable Energy Access; May 25, 2007)
- Electric Vehicles > Hybrid Technologies EV video - Hybrid Technologies is offering the six-minute segment on the company's electric vehicles from the History Channel Modern Marvels "It came from Space" episode. It gives a quick history about lithium battery development at NASA and includes a view into the company's conversion process and some of their high speed long range electric vehicles. (AutoblogGreen; May 25, 2007)
May 24, 2007
- Electromagnetic / Radiant Energy > Self-running Bedini motor - Long-time participant in various Bedini motor replication projects, Rick Friedrich posts videos, photos, diagrams, and explanation of his set-up, which he says measures a net gain in energy "from nature".
- Videos / Radiant Energy / Bedini > New "Energy from the Vacuum" Documentary Series DVD release - John Bedini - Bedini conducts a tour of his lab and explains how every motor works, in addition to patiently answering a whole host of questions pertaining to 'radiant energy'.
- Water / Plasma > Definitive Energy - AquaClean™ processes contaminated water with an electric arc (plasma) to produce clean, potable water which spontaneously creates a high energy, non-polluting, sustainable fuel (AquaLene®). The fuel is claimed to produce 3x more energy than is required to maintain the arc by powering a generator in a closed-loop process.
- Solar / Air Conditioning > ClimateWell - Highly efficient solar air conditioning equipment with the ability to store energy and convert hot water to cooling and heating, delivering cooling not only when the sun shines but around the clock. Triple phase absorption technology provides the capability of storing thermal energy to deliver a continuous cooling output based on a fluctuating energy input, such as solar heat.
- Solar > Vehicles / Flight > Solar Flight - SUNSEEKER, a manned solar powered aircraft, has an electric motor, planetary gearbox, a folding propeller and 40 lbs of Lithium batteries installed in the wings. It was flown from Ramona to Tehachapi and back, over the Mojave Desert, San Gabriel mountains, Ontario, and Lake Elsinore. Flight time on the return was less than 3.5 hours.
May 23, 2007
- Hydrogen > Hydrogen from Biomass at High Yields - Researchers have developed a method using multiple enzymes as a catalyst for the direct, low-cost production of hydrogen from biomass, at a yield higher than fermentation, based on earlier work by Y.H. P. Zhang. The energy conversion efficiency from the sugar-hydrogen-fuel cell system is 3x higher than a sugar-ethanol-internal combustion engine. (Green Car Congress; May 23, 2007)
- Water Heaters > TPTS Development - The Two Phase Thermo-Syphon Water Heater technology can be used to produce gas-fired domestic hot water heaters of long life and very high efficiency. The 80 year old central chimney design has a low average efficiency or "energy factor" of about 55%. With a power burner and condensation provisions, a TPTS design can achieve energy factors between 87% and 94%.
- Thermal Electric / AC > Peltier Effect > Yonsei profs’ new radical air conditioner - Two professors have developed an air-conditioner that does not use refrigerants or have an external unit, which can be used as a heater in winter. When electricity flows through the thermo-module, a type of semiconductor, one side cools and the other side heats. (JoongAng Daily; May 23, 2007) (Thanks Anthony Saba)
- Electric Vehicles > Lear Baylor - The Lear 204 electric boat cruises waterways silently without the environmental impact of sooty exhaust, irritating noise, or large wakes to spoil the moment. It is safe, stable, and simple to operate, with almost no maintenance and operational costs are only a dollar a day.
May 22, 2007
- Engines > Sanderson Hydraulic Hybrid Engine - Sanderson Engine Development and Combustion Electromagnetics are developing a Variable Compression Ratio, Low Friction, Lean Burn Engine that can be combined with a hydraulic-hybrid feature to improve fuel economy up to 100%. The Sanderson Rocker Arm Mechanism also improves the efficiency of pumps, compressors, refrigeration and hydraulics. (Green Car Congress; May 22, 2007)
- Solar > Thin Film > BioSolar Cost Advantages - BioSolar, developer of thin film, flexible solar cells on bio-based plastic substrates, seeks to bring powerful cost advantages to the solar cell manufacturing industry. By manufacturing thin-film solar cells on a bio-based substrate and using vastly lower amounts of amorphous silicon, the company expects to leapfrog current production bottlenecks. (Market Watch; Mar. 29, 2007)
- Hydro > River > Plutonic Power - Non-storage (run of river) hydroelectric is one of the most environmentally friendly and commercially viable sources of electricity generation available. Plutonic Power's projects have been located on streams with natural waterfalls that act as barriers, thus greatly minimizing negative impacts on fish and wildlife habitat.
May 18, 2007
- Ocean Wave > Ocean Wave and Wind Energy - An OWWE rig is of the overtopping type, much like a floating beach, that can be combined with wind turbines. In the end of the beach there is a ramp, pivoted in one end and float at the other. Water is trapped by the ramp and lead to a chamber where the turbine is placed. (Thanks Aanund Ottesen)
- Home Generation > kama Energy Efficient Building Systems - Structures made with kama light gauge metal stud framing with expanded polystyrene are 60% more energy efficient than those built with traditional wood or metal stud framing. There is no medium which carries temperature and sound through the panels – not even a screw.
- Fuel Efficiency > Hybrids > Connaught Motor Company - Connaught's hybrid Type-D high performance energy-efficient sports car will deliver 140mph, 0-60mph in 6.5s, 42mpg, while still complying with ultra-low emissions targets. The Lynch electric motor is attached to the crankshaft nose, via a variable gearing system designed to exploit the fact that an electric motor delivers its highest torque at its lowest speeds.
May 17, 2007
- Hydrogen > Purdue Process Generates Hydrogen from Aluminum Alloy - Water added to aluminum mixed with Gallium can produce hydrogen on demand. As a catalyst, the Gallium is not consumed. The oxidized aluminum can be recycled. The process is close to being cost competitive with petrol. (PESN; May 17, 2007)
- Solar > Concentrated > Ausra thinks big with solar storage - Ausra is testing a system to generate power at centralized stations using concentrating solar power to create steam that turns a turbine to make electricity. It also stores hot water that a power plant can draw on during times when the sun is not shining, reducing the cost to 8 cents per kilowatt hour, compared to 12 cents for natural gas. (CNET News; May 16, 2007)
- Tidal / River > Hydro Green Energy - Builds and operates kinetic hydro power projects that generate electricity from moving water (river currents, tidal currents, and ocean currents) without having to construct dams or other infrastructure. Hydropower Turbine Arrays are inexpensive to manufacture, can be designed for different types of conditions and produce the lowest cost hydropower commercially available.
- Ocean Wave > Continual Wind-Up Charged by Waves - Vertical oscillation of a buoy could wind-up a spring, like those watches that are automatically charged with the movement of the wrist, which in turn would discharge to move a generator.
May 16, 2007
- Solar > Concentrated > EMCORE multi junction cells 37% efficient - EMCORE announced that it has reached 37% peak efficiency on multi junction solar cells currently in volume production. The terrestrial concentrator cell hits peak efficiency under concentrated illumination conditions, for use in utility scale solar power deployments. (Inside Greentech; May 16, 2007)
- Alt Fuels > Ethanol > Cellulosic ethanol breakthrough - Brazil's Dedini SA announced it has come up with a way to produce cellulosic ethanol on an industrial scale from plant waste, at a cost of US 27 cents a liter (US$ 1.02 per gallon). This development could revolutionize the industry, making it cost-competitive with oil at US$42 a barrel. (Biopact; May 16, 2007)
- Fuel Cells > NanoDynamics Energy - Developing portable solid oxide fuel cell systems that provide long lasting power in less volume and at a lighter weight than batteries or other fuel cell approaches. The NDRevolution® 50 is fueled by propane contained in disposable cylinders available at many retailers, and creates only water vapor and carbon dioxide as its byproducts.
- Electric Vehicles > Comet EV coming from China - Comet is a new three-wheeled all-electric 3-passenger city vehicle from Flybo-EV, made of carbon fiber and Kevlar, with 'alloy' wheels also made of carbon fiber. It has a top speed of 90 mph and a potential 200-mile range (depending on battery pack), and a possible price tag of $30,000. (AutoblogGreen; May 11, 2006)
May 15, 2007
- Batteries > Canadian Firm Develops Fast-Charge Ultra-Cap 'Battery' - EPOD International is developing a revolutionary new hybrid battery that can be charged in less than one minute and fully cycled over 100,000 times. It combines the high energy density of batteries with the high power density of capacitors, is not made from rare or expensive elements and is environmentally benign. (EV World; May 10, 2007)
- Ocean Wave > Wave Hub Names Fourth Developer for Wave Energy Farm - Oceanlinx has been chosen as the fourth developer for the Wave Hub project off the coast of England. Oceanlinx will deploy its wave-energy converter, which combines the established science of the Oscillating Water Column with its own patented turbine technology. (Renewable Energy Access; May 15, 2007)
- Solar > Thin Film > New Firm Enters Thin Film Solar PV Market - Signet Solar was recently launched by a group of semiconductor executives to manufacture large area, low cost, thin film silicon photovoltaic (PV) modules. It will design and produce PV modules for applications such as farms, large commercial installations and remote habitation. (Alternative Energy Retailer; May 15, 2007)
- Hydro > River > Cloudworks Energy - Run-of-River projects are dramatically different in design, appearance and impact from conventional hydroelectric projects. There is no water storage other than the limited amount required to submerge the intake pipe. Second, there is no alteration of downstream flows, since all diverted water is returned to the stream below the powerhouse.
May 14, 2007
- Mimetics / Wind > Humpback flipper may be the key to better wind turbines - WhalePower Corp features a blade design that mimics the aerodynamically efficient design of a humpback whale’s flipper, allowing a turbine to capture more of the wind's energy, and at much lower speeds.
- Magnet Motors > Perendev > Perendev Replica by Thomas of Slovakia - Single-rotor replica based on patent does not rotate on its own. (May 15, 2007)
May 14, 2007
- Magnet Motors > A scooter that runs on magnetic power - A man in India has developed a scooter that runs on magnetic power and doesn't require recharging. A battery starts the scooter and the rest is done by the inbuilt magnetic mechanism, which enables the scooter to run at a speed of 25 to 45 km/hr. The magnetic power reduces if the scooter is used for a long period, but it can be retrieved in no time. (DailyIndia; May 8, 2007) (Thanks Keelynet)
- Batteries > LTC touts large new cells for autos - Lithium Technology Corporation introduced a new product line of lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) cells for hybrid and electric vehicles, providing 3,000 charging cycles, which would enable 150,000 miles to 80% capacity for a 60 mile all electric range. Its large format technology decreases weight while increasing performance and safety. (Inside Greentech; May 14, 2007)
- Fuel Efficiency > Retrofits > Electronic Converter reduces emissions, saves fuel - The Hydrodrive Electronic Catalytic Converter not only reduces the toxic substances from auto emissions, but saves on fuel too. The one foot long retrofit is installed after the fuel filter to make all hydrocarbon fuels hydrogen rich using cold plasma catalysis. Diesel smoke and particulate emissions are reduced 60%. (Chennai Online)
- Ocean Wave > New Wave Energy Plant Developed - Scientists from “Centre of Renewable Energy�? company have developed a small, though very effective, wave energy plant that is very cheap and simple to assemble. The plant uses gravity and wave energy, thus making very cheap electric energy. Resarchers plan to start full-scale tests this summer. (Russia-InfoCentre; May 2, 2007) (Thanks Keelynet)
May 12, 2007
- Bio-Energetics / Lighting > Chinese Man Invigorated by 220 Volts of Electricity - An unusual person in Heilongjiang Province, can light up bulbs by touching 220-volt power lines. When shocked by the generated current, he feels no pain or convulsions, but feels invigorated instead. He is even able to do diathermic massage for people by controlling the voltage. (Epoch Times; Jan. 20, 2007)
May 11, 2007
- Solar > Concentrated > Solar Power at Half the Cost - Soliant Energy has designed a solar concentrator that combines both lenses and mirrors in a compact roof-mounted system that tracks the sun, focusing light on small areas of photovoltaic material. They can be made at half the cost of conventional solar panels and are set to start shipping later this year. (MIT Technology Review; May 11, 2007)
- Wind > High Altitude > Scientists look high in the sky for power - By lofting generators into the upper atmosphere, scientists theorize they could capture the power of the jet stream and transmit the electricity along cables back to Earth. Dozens of researchers around the world believe huge kite-like wind-power generators could be the solution, potentially meeting the world's entire electrical needs. (San Francisco Chronicle; May 7, 2007)
- Batteries > Firefly selects manufacturing partners - Firefly Energy announced manufacturing partnerships for its innovative carbon-graphite foam lead acid battery, that offers high performance, extremely low weight and low cost. It can be both manufactured as well as recycled within the existing lead acid battery industry’s vast infrastructure. (Green Car Congress; May 11, 2007)
- Biodiesel from Algae Oil > GreenStar Algae Demonstration Facility - Green Star Products has completed Phase I of its microalgae demonstration pond, to resolve operational problems which have plagued the algae production industry. GSPI’s Hybrid Algae Production System incorporates the controlled environment of closed photobioreactors with the inexpensive construction of an open pond system. (Green Car Congress; May 11, 2007)
- Fuel Efficiency > Engines > Purdue scientists claim 'major leap' in engine design - A new type of engine could dramatically reduce oil consumption and the emission of global-warming pollutants. Variable valve actuation would enable significant improvements in conventional gasoline and diesel engines because the valves' timing would no longer be restricted by the pistons' movement. (Science Blog; May 10, 2007)
May 10, 2007
- Conservation > Grey Water > Sink-to-Toilet Combo - A simple way to optimize water usage without setting up a costly gray water system. The sink uses the inflow of water headed to refill the toilet bowl. You can therefore use the water twice by washing your hands in it before it fills the bowl. One-size-fits-all retrofit available.
- Water > Wataire Industries - The Atmospheric Water Generator creates pure, filtered drinking water from the moisture in the air while simultaneously purifying the air. It is about the size of a household water cooler and will create up to eight gallons of drinking water a day for less than $0.15 per gallon.
- Thermal Electric > Custom Thermoelectric - Power generation modules utilize the Seebeck effect to generate electrical energy from waste heat sources such as wood stoves, gas and fuel exhausts, boilers and solar collectors and concentrators. Each face of the device must be exposed to different temperatures; a "hot" side and a "cold" side. The greater the temperature difference, the more power generated.
- Batteries > Advanced Lithium Electrochemistry - Lithium-Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) is the latest cathode material for the Li-ion battery. Although the energy density is lower than Li-Co, its advantage is high safety and shorter charge time. The normal cycle life is 2000 times, which is much greater than Li-Co or Li-Mn battery (only 500 times). It is suitable for high power applications like electric vehicles and power tools.
- Hybrid Vehicles > Microcab - An Urban, ultra light, city speed, 'short hop' taxi system with electric drive powered by a hydrogen fuel cell, pollution free and virtually silent in operation. The only emission is water vapour. Maximum speed 45kph (30mph). Range on full hydrogen tank approx. 160km (100miles).
May 9, 2007
- Fusion > Inertial-Electrodynamic Device > Vital Electric Fusion: Proven, Safe, Cheap - Energy device in funding limbo for two decades -- dying on the vine for lack of nuclear weapons potential. Method developed by US Physicist, Dr. Robert W. Bussard, does not need to release neutrons (radioactivity) as part of the fusion process. (PESN; May 9, 2007)
- Solar > Thin Film > Ascent to develop 20% efficiency thin film cells - Ascent Solar has been selected by the U.S. Air Force to develop a flexible thin film tandem solar cell to demonstrate thin film photovoltaic efficiencies of 20%. Tandem solar cells are a combination of two cells stacked atop one another, with the top and bottom cells gathering energy from separate parts of the solar spectrum. (Inside Greentech; May 9, 2007)
- Batteries > Li-S > Sion Power - Lithium Sulfer batteries have the potential to be an enabling technology for both Plug In Hyrid and Pure Electric Vehicles. With over 350 Wh/Kg today, Li-S can achieve a driving range of 300 miles and improves the overall payload capability. As sulfur is much less expensive than other battery components, the material cost is lower than lithium-ion or lithium-polymer batteries.
- Fuel Efficiency > Hybrids > 200 MPG Velozzi Micro-Turbine Electric Hybrid - The Velozzi derives its power from a lithium ion battery pack recharged by an on-board micro turbine, which uses any heavy fuel such as gasoline, ethanol, methanol, diesel or bio diesel. The company’s working model indicates great performance: 100–200 mpg; 0–60 MPH in 3 seconds; 200 MPH top speed. (SEMA; Apr. 25, 2007)
- Hydro > River > Run of River Power - Independent producer of clean, environmentally friendly, renewable energy. "Run of River" power is hydro-electric energy created when water is diverted from a stream through a pipe to spin a turbine, which creates electricity. The water is then re-directed back onto the river further downstream.
May 8, 2007
- Solar > Thin Film > Aussies make solar power cell breakthrough - Researchers have developed a means of increasing the cell's light-trapping ability by up to 50% by placing a thin film of silver onto a cell and heating it to 200C. The film breaks into tiny "islands" of silver and raises the light-trapping efficiency to between 13-15%, compared to 8-10% for most thin-film solar cells. (Daily Telegraph; May 1, 2007)
- Fuel Efficiency > Transmissions > ZF 8-Speed Automatic Transmission - ZF has designed a new 8-speed automatic transmission for passenger cars based on a new transmission concept featuring four planetary gearsets and five shift elements. It enables fuel savings of approximately 6% compared to 6-speed transmissions and 14% compared to a 5-speed. (Green Car Congress; May 2, 2007)
- Ocean Wave > Wave power generator - Large open topped tanks are fixed in position with the bottoms at low tide level. Water enters through non-return valves in the seaward facing side of the tank and exits through turbines on the other side to generate electricity. The valves ensure water flows in one direction only. With low construction and maintenance costs and no fuel costs it should produce low cost electricity.
- Conservation / Water > Aquanotion - TwoFlush dual flush system converts the standard North American style toilet in to a water conserving, money saving TwoFlush toilet: a small flush for liquid waste and a big flush for solid waste. The system is an inexpensive, proven design that has been used in Europe and all over the world for years.
- Efficient Vehicles > The Air Car - partnership with Tata Motors - The first commercial compressed air car is on the verge of production with a recently signed partnership with Tata Motors, India’s largest automotive manufacturer. It costs less than one Euro per 100Km to run (about a tenth that of a petrol car). Its range is 200 to 300 km and the top speed is 68 mph. (Gizmag; Mar. 19, 2007)
May 7, 2007
- Solar > Quantum Dots > Quantum Dot Recipe May Lead To Cheaper Solar Panels - Scientists at Rice University have developed a new method for cost-effectively producing four-armed (tetrapod) quantum dots that have previously been shown to be particularly effective at converting sunlight into electrical energy. Their method achieves 90% tetrapods, whereas the best previous method only got as high as 30%. (Science Daily; May 4, 2007) (See Slashdot discussion)
- Hydro > River > Hydromax Energy - Small run-of-river projects are free from many of the environmental problems associated with large-scale dam hydropower projects because they use the natural flow of the river, and thus produce relatively little change in the stream channel and flow. A portion of a river's water is diverted to a channel or pipeline that delivers it to a waterwheel or turbine.
- Fuel Efficiency > Alt Fuels > Gasfill - Fuelling your vehicle at home or work using the same gas that heats your home, office or factory, called Compressed Natural Gas (CNG), providing up to 60% lower fuel costs. Gasfill has developed a small slow fill compressor that can operate at any home, office or factory around the world and is ideal for car or light van users.
- EV > Electric Trucks > American Electric Vehicles - High performance off road vehicles developed for the military are now available for commercial sale. These vehicles feature high performace, large lithium-polymer battery packs and have a high performance motor. Rugged solar panels, with full recharge in 5 days. Machine guns not available. (Thanks Roger Thompson)
- Water > Greywater > Nubian Water Systems - Recycle up to 60% of your household water with an OASIS GT600 Greywater treatment system. The system can be installed beside your house, requiring no excavation or disruption to your garden. It is as easy to install as a hot water system or other household appliance. Recycling options include: toilet flushing, above ground irrigation and car washing.
May 5, 2007
- Milkovic > Witnessing Milkovic's Secondary Oscillator - Gorazd Klemencic and his wife visited Veljko Milkovic and describe their experience. "The excess of energy according to the input is very impressive."
May 4, 2007
- Solar > Concentrated > 600-mirror Solar Tower in Seville Spain - First commercial concentrator station in Europe focuses sunlight onto water pipes at the top of a 40-storey concrete tower, which drives a turbine to generate 11 megawatts of electricity. Thousands more mirrors will be added to further boost the output. (TreeHugger; May 4, 2007)
- Lighting > Moon Sensitive Street Lamps - Lunar resonant streetlamp dims itself depending on how much light the moon is putting out, saving energy and providing a consistent amount of light. Each LED lamp contains a photo-cell sensitive enough to detect subtle changes in moonlight and uses 95% less power than regular streetlamps. A nation wide switch to these lights would literally save gigawatts. (EcoGeek)
- Fuel Efficiency > Vehicles > 100+ MPG Sports Car - The Axon Eco-M is based on a Caterham 7 Classic and uses the standard 1.4 liter engine. To improve its aerodynamics and reduce its weight Axon have done away with the roof and windscreen, and used lightweight carbon fiber components. The car averaged over 131 mpg at the Shell Eco Marathon in July 2006. (TreeHugger; Mar. 27, 2007)
- Home Generation > Green Sandwich Technologies - The Green Sandwich Building System cuts construction time in half using structural concrete insulating panels that provide the highest levels of energy efficiency. The superior insulation (R-40 performance) results in 40%-60% energy savings for heating and cooling systems.
- Fuel Efficiency > Engines > Super diesel apparatus - By recycling exhaust gas, eliminating valve overlap timing, and using an electromagnetic flywheel, the super diesel engine increases fuel efficiency 75 - 85 percent. Inventor Daljit Singh claims a small car would get at least 100 miles per gallon with his engine.
May 3, 2007
- Wind > VAWT > StatoEolien Vertical-Axis Wind Turbine - The power curve of this French design is surprisingly different than power curves for conventional turbines because the output increases until the velocity of the wind is above the lower hurricane levels.
- Fuel Efficiency > Retrofits / Engines > EnviroFit - Cleaning up the air in the developing world by retrofitting up to 2 million two-stroke powered vehicles with cleaner, more efficient direct injection technology licensed from Orbital Corp. The upgrade eliminates 90% of hydrocarbon and 70% of carbon monoxide emissions while improving fuel economy more than 30%.
- Electromagnetic > Synchro Pulse - High efficiency brushless motor technology utilising an innovative approach to the magnetic engineering inside the motors, delivering more load for less electricity without requiring exotic materials or unusual production techniques. The motors use much less electricity for a given load and the speed controller ensures you never deliver more power than needed.
- Stirling Engines / Space Heating > Thermal Engine Corporation - The Heat Wave Stirling-cycle stove fan for wood/pellet stoves is placed directly on top of a hot surface and circulates the warm air using only the heat radiated by the stove as its power source. It increases stove heating efficiency by up to 35% and will run indefinitely while atop a hot surface while not costing a penny to operate.
May 2, 2007
- Jim Dunn / Solar > Silicon > Solar Silicon Solution Wins MIT Energy Plan Contest - RSI Silicon debuts a far more inexpensive method of producing solar grade Silicon, winning "Poeple's Choice" award and first place in the Energy Business Plan contest held by MIT. (PESN; May 2, 2007)
- Fuel Cells > PAC Zinc Air Fuel Cells - Power Air Corporation's Zinc Air Fuel Cell offers an alternative to batteries, generators, and hydrogen fuel cells, producing zero emission energy for portable, stationary, light mobility, and transportation applications. ZAFC technology is low cost with all the advantages of batteries and engines, without the disadvantages. (The Energy Blog; May 2, 2007)
- Electric Vehicles / Solar Vehicles > Solar Trike - The Sun-E-Trike solar powered recumbant bike is a low cost alternative to an automobile that is fun and easy to ride, street legal, and no license is required. It goes 13 to 32 mph with a 10 to 25 mile range and under average use is maintenance free.
- Fuel Efficiency > Retrofits > Sonic Spark Plugs - They look like normal spark plugs, but they have a powerful ultrasound generator in the tip. This shatters gasoline mist microseconds before it burns, energizing the fuel droplets before combustion. Your car, truck or motorcycle will have more power and get better mileage because combustion is dramatically improved.
- Clean Coal > Fuel Tech - FUEL CHEM® programs can improve the efficiency, reliability and environmental status of plants operating in the electric utility, industrial, pulp and paper, and waste-to-energy markets. Products include customized NOx control systems, which can reduce emissions from 30% – 85%, treating a wide variety of solid and liquid fuels, including coal, heavy oil, biomass and municipal waste.
May 1, 2007
- Transmissions > NuVinci CVP > Fallbrook to Develop CVT for Outdoor Power Equipment - Fallbrook Technologies and Aftermarket Technology Corp. will develop a continuously variable planetary (CVP) drivetrain for ATVs, garden tractors, and utility vehicles, based on Fallbrook's NuVinci technology. It is more efficient, produces less heat and noise, performs better on hills, and is much easier to package. (The Auto Channel; May 1, 2007)
- Batteries > EEStor / ZENN > ZENN Motor Company Invests in EEStor - ZENN Motor Company has an option for additional investment, following EEStor's successful completion of permittivity (electrical storage capacity) testing of its high-power-density ceramic ultracapacitor (EESU). The EESU could potentially allow ZENN vehicles to go as far and as fast as a traditional car at a fraction of the cost. (Green Car Congress; Apr. 30, 2007)
- Wind > Vertical Axis > New Rooftop Wind Turbine Tested - The Helyx Wind Generator is composed of two twisted wings of bright green fiberglass that rotate around a vertical axis, designed to take advantage of low wind speeds, with an estimated production cost of $1.50 per watt. The 40-inch tall turbines will be tested on the rooftops at Portland State University, to see if they adequately harvest energy in an urban environment. (MetaEfficient)
- Conservation > Smarty Pants Energy Monitor - The Home Joule energy data display device receives real-time info about your local utility, time-of-day energy costs, and local weather, then splices this with your home energy consumption. It helps consumers make informed decisions to reduce energy use. (TreeHugger; May 1, 2007)
- Free Energy News (PESWiki) - daily, from around the world
- http://PESN.com - Feature stories by PES Network, Inc.
- Latest - Leaves some of the lesser stories out
- This Week in Free Energy™ - weekly recap
NEWS BY TOPIC -->
Active: Best Exotic FE | Cold Fusion | Conspiracy | Earth's Magnetic Field (Energy) | Electromagnetic OU | Fuel Efficiency | Hydroxy / HHO | Keshe | Plasma | E-Cat | Spirituality | Water | Water as Fuel
Trickle: Alchemy | Alternative Fuels | Batteries | Electric Vehicles | Emergency Preparedness | Engines | Events | Fundraisers | Geothermal | Gravity Motors | Grid | Humor | Hydro | Hydrogen | Magnet Motors | Nanotech | Open Source | QMoGen | Quantum | Solar | Storage | Tesla | Thermal Electric | Top 100 | Waste to Energy | Wind | Zero Point Energy