PESWiki.com -- Pure Energy Systems Wiki: Finding and facilitating breakthrough clean energy technologies.
Donations to PES are needed and greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Directory: Remedies for Grid Vulnerabilities to Solar Flares
by Sterling D. Allan
July 16, 2010
Pure Energy Systems News
On July 14, George Noory of Coast to Coast AM interviewed journalist and science consultant, Lawrence E. Joseph about "threats to life on Earth, including collapse of power grids from solar flares, the weakening of the magnetic field, and the solar system's move into a new area of space. Joseph is among many who note that a solar electromagnetic pulse (EMP) blast could knock out electricity by permanently destroying transformers in the grid. If a blast like the Carrington Event of 1859 occurred again, we could see 100 million people out of electricity for a couple years." Science doesn't debate this point of vulnerability. It is a well-known fact, backed by the National Academy of Science, and quite easy to comprehend.
Joseph noted that the North American grid is especially vulnerable – more so than Europe – because they use larger step-down voltage transformers, which means a larger hit from the solar EMP. Also, the more northerly latitude makes the North American grid more vulnerable than those countries situated closer to the equator, where the Earth's magnetic shielding is stronger.
It's that latter point that makes the diminishing of the Earth's magnetic shield in general add to the compounding of causal factors.
What is maddening about this is that the vulnerability is a matter of choice, not fate. Joseph points out that installing a kind of surge protection for the power grid would not be that expensive or difficult – especially when contrasted with the expense of the unprotected components failing. He said that the approximate 360 protectors would cost a few hundred million dollars. That's pocket change for the N. American governments – the price of a condom compared to the price of a child, but this baby would not be welcome.
The sun is predicted to go into a climax for flares in 2012. We should be moving with all haste to get the protection in place. The high-intensity flares are not a matter of "if" but "when", as born out in recent history.
We're posting this directory page to compile resources as they become known to us, regarding protecting against the solar EMP phenomenon. PESWiki is a publicly editable site, so if you know of a resource, feel free to log in and edit this page to add a link, with clear and concise wording.
- Contact your own utility provider to make sure they are implementing protective measures.
- Contract your Senator: Re: the U.S. to install a kind of surge protection for the power grid [in their language it was to protect from cyber-attack on the grid] -- a plan that the House has already approved, but may get stalled in the Senate because the measure is being attached to other issues.
- Contact your federal government representatives to urge passage of a bill to require all utilities to implement protective measures; and provide government loans for such equipment. Maybe you could help speed this along by drafting such a bill for your represent to sponsor.
Detection and Measurement
- EMP > Remedies >
NASA’s Solar Shield to mitigate damage to power grid from severe solar storms - A new NASA project called “Solar Shield” is working to develop a forecasting system that can mitigate the impacts of solar storm events and keep the grid electrons flowing. About 30 minutes before impact an incoming CME would sweep past a spacecraft stationed 1.5 million km upstream from Earth, with sensors to then relay intensity measurement information to earth. (GizMag; Oct. 27, 2010)
- Emergency Preparedness / Grid > Vulnerabilities >
'Controlled' power cuts likely as Sun storm threatens national grid - Officials in Britain and the United States are preparing to make controlled power cuts to their national electricity supplies in response to a warning of a possible powerful solar storm hitting the Earth. The controlled power "outages" will protect the National Electricity Grids against damage which could take months or even years to repair should a large solar storm collide with the Earth without any precautions being taken. (Independent; UK; June 13, 2011)
News Stories about Protecting the Grid from Solar Flares
- Short-Circuiting the Great American Blackout – article by Lawrence Joseph, soon to be published (Huffington Post; coming July 2010)
News Stories about Grid Vulnerability to Solar Flares
- Grid > Vulnerability to Solar Flares >
Power Grid Braces for Sun Storms - A solar storm that reaches Earth could knock out communications, scramble GPS, and leave thousands without power for weeks to months. The tempest can create extra electrical currents in Earth's magnetosphere. The electrical power grid is particularly vulnerable to these extra currents, which can infiltrate high-voltage transmission lines, causing transformers to overheat and possibly burn out. (National Geographic; August 3, 2011)
- Emergency Preparedness / Grid > Vulnerabilities >
The Solar Storm Threat to America's Power Grid - A known and cataclysmic threat to the U.S. electric power grid is being largely ignored by the President and Congress. Warning events in 1859, 1921, 1989, and 2003 showed the danger that solar activity can pose to electrical power and distribution systems. Now as we move into another solar maximum, with increased vulnerabilities built into our electrical grid, the danger again looms large. (LaRouche; June 13, 2011)
- Featured: Grid / Nature / Conspiracy > Ventura's "Conspiracy Theory" >
Jesse Ventura on the 2012 Apocalypse conspiracy theory - Future solar flares could wipe out the electrical grid as well as bring major physical catastrophes to the planet. Ventura's team uncovers evidence that the U.S. government is preparing for a major disaster, planning to save only the elite, keeping their plans from the public because they don't have enough time or resources to prepare for everyone. (PESWiki; Jan. 20, 2010) (Comments)
- Featured: Grid / Emergency Preparedness >
Zero Hour: The Day The Grid Stood Still - There are several causal factors, natural and manmade, that could bring out modern grid to a stand-still, arguing for the need for distributed, hardened power. Disruption could come from electromagnetic pulse (EMP) from a military nuclear detonation, or it could come from a coronal mass ejection (CME) from the sun. (PESN; April 30, 2010)
- Electrical power grid to be blasted by 2012 solar storms \ 90 seconds from catastrophe - Our reliance on technology has unwittingly exposed us to an extraordinary danger. Plasma balls spewed from the surface of the sun could wipe out our power grids. Solution? distributed, free energy solutions being championed by organizations like the NEM, the NEC and the Orion Project. (Examiner; March 27, 2009) (See New Scientist)
- NASA: 2012 'space Katrina' may cripple U.S. for months - A recently released NASA report warns that the U.S. has forgotten the power of the sun, creating a technological society susceptible like never before to massive infrastructure damage from solar storms. (Video) (World Net Daily; Jan. 10, 2009)
- Featured: Emergency Preparedness / Grid > Vulnerabilities >
Simply Amazing Solar Prominence Eruption! Next Time... - Referring to yesterday's M-class flare, one sun watcher said: "Never seen anything like this before - spectacular". Its glancing blow is predicted to produce some great northern lights. But that would be a very different story if it had been directed straight at the Earth hitting the U.S., wiping out the grid -- unless we are prepared. (PESN and BeforeItsNews; June 8, 2011)
- Featured: Earth Changes >
Japan's Record Quake Corresponds to Solar Flare Activity - Several well-known scientists chime in to corroborate the connection between the recent solar flare activity and the March 11 Japan 8.9 earthquake via the Sun-Earth connection. (PESN and BeforeItsNews; March 12, 2011)
- Featured: Solar > Coronal Mass Ejections > Grid > Emergency Preparedness >
Two Suns in the Bible - In the scripture that talks about "the day that cometh shall burn them up" in Malachi, the next verse talks about the "Sun of righteousness" arising "with healing in his wings." Alphabetics provides some insight on this passage, and its ramifications for solar energy. (GreaterThings and BeforeItsNews; January 23, 2011)
- Aftermath: A Guide to Preparing For and Surviving Apocalypse 2012 by Lawrence E. Joseph
- Directory:Electrical Grid Vulnerability
- Directory:Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP)
- Directory:Bio-Energetics#Environmental Electromagnetic Concerns
- Directory: Remedies for Grid Vulnerabilities to Solar Flares
- PowerPedia:Distributed Generation
- Directory:Smart Grid