PESWiki.com -- Pure Energy Systems Wiki: Finding and facilitating breakthrough clean energy technologies.
Directory:US:What You Can Do Now to Go Green and Save Money
- BETA: This is a new feature at PESWiki, in early stages of development. We invite your input if you know of an item, link, or service that should be listed here.
There are many ways to reduce your fuel consumption. Contrary to what the establishement says ("They don't work"), many of them work quite well. We have probably around 1000 different methods posted in our Fuel Efficiency index pages. In addition to such things as pumping tires to the MAX allowed pressure and change your air filter regulary, we've found the following to be some of the most effective.
- 8 Geeky Ways to Save Gas - Here are some of PC Mag's favorite high-tech tips for saving gas, starting with the easy and working up to the truly geeky. (PC Mag; July 2, 2008)
- Debunking Gas-Saving Myths - 6 Myths debunked. (TechnoRide; May 19, 2008)
- Fuel Efficiency > Hypermiling >
The Emotional Route to Fuel Efficiency - Driving angry leads to aggressive driving, which results in significantly dropped efficiency from over acceleration and breaking. Easy does it; calm down and save money. (Harmony Center Blog ; July 28, 2008)
One-Time, Simple Install
We've found that one of the most cost-effective, easy fuel efficiency solutions is the Pulse Plug. It's a spark plug replacement. It is not a spark plug, but uses a capacitor with a kind of corona effect discharge that more efficiently burns fuel for more power, greater fuel economy, and reduced emissions. On lower efficiency vehicles (gas hogs), you could be looking at much greater improvement in mileage. Each plug is $25.00, and will pay for itself at least three times over even on cars that are already very efficient. You can get a 10% discount by using the promotional code: "PES".
While lubrication approaches don't yield as great of improvement in fuel efficiency, they can double the longevity of your vehicle, conserving its lifetime.
- Maryn International's lubrication solutions - Maryn is a leading developer and manufacturer of high performance industrial additives which significantly improve lubricity and which also improve mileage. While the product is aimed at the trucking industry, it also works well in any car. Each bottle is quite expensive, but it lasts for a long time, with great results in its use. (PESWiki; July 7, 2008)
There are also a number of synthetic lubricants from Mobil One to Amzoil which are reported to provide excellent reduction in internal friction and better mileage.
See also: Directory:Lubricants
Scan Tool for Hypermiling
It's amazing how much better mileage you can get just by adjusting some of your driving habits such as slowing down your acceleration, and using the AC more conservatively. ScanGauge II ($159.95) is a best-seller for tracking your automobile statistics with ease. Unit plugs into the diagnostic connector found under-dash on most 1996 and newer cars and light trucks.
- HOW TO: Make Your Own Eco, Kid-Safe Cleaning Supplies - Why should you take the time to make homemade cleaners? Well, first of all, plenty of studies show that toxic, conventional cleaning supplies are bad for your health, your child’s health, and the planet’s health. (Inhabitat; Dec. 28, 2008)
Replace your shower head with Alsons Incredible Head 652 and you will hardly tell that you are getting hit with less water, yet you will be using far less water: 2.5 gal/minute max; and it is easy to shut it off or turn the volume down while you lather up. This design is the ultimate in simplicity and low cost while still providing a quality flow of water.
See also: Directory:Water
Home Power Generation
Inexpensive Tasks that Make a Big Difference at Home
- Live green and start saving some “green” by being energy efficient in your home. - 20 Technologies to Save You Money. See the latest in eco-tech, plus simple things you can do today to make your home more energy efficient. (DIY Network; Oct. 24, 2008)
- Conservation / Energy Efficiency >
22 Steps Toward Energy Efficiency - Energy "radical" Amory Lovins, points out that the US could save up to 75 percent of the energy we use by using efficiency techniques that are cheaper than the electricity itself. (Co-Op America; July 8, 2008)
Open Windows at Night to let in cool air. Open curtains in winter to let in Sun.
Ground Source Heat Pump
Harnessing the relatively stable temperature below the frost line for augmenting cooling in the summer and warming in the winter makes a lot of sense and is a no-brainer for any new builds. It can be a good investement even for retrofitting existing structures.
- EarthLinked Technologies - Company has been in the business of installing Ground Source Heat Pumps for nearly two decades. The residential and commercial systems save energy in the winter and summer, drawing from the thermal mass of the earth with their direct geo-exchange technology. ROI is just a few years.
Residential Wind Turbine with a Reasonable ROI
- Skystream 3.7™ - The first fully integrated wind generator designed specifically for the grid-connected residential market. The output could provide 40 to 90 percent of an average home’s energy needs. In states like Hawaii, where the cost of energy and wind speeds are both high, Skystream 3.7 can pay for itself in less than 4 years. Although the wind turbine itself is only $5500, with inverter, the total installed system cost is closer to $15,000.
See also: Directory:Home Generation:Wind Turbine
Residential Solar System with a Reasonable ROI
- Solar "Heat Grabber" - Mother Earth News presents a DIY $32.18, 1-2-hour to build, box that sits outside a south-facing window to pull in the sun's heat via convection.
- Directory:Home Generation:Solar PV - Look particularly at Evergreen solar and First Solar.
- Directory:Home Generation:Solar Heating - Pay special attention to Apricus and other evacuated tube designs.
Make Electricity, Don't Buy It
- Electricity - make it, don't buy it - eBook shows how to set up your own electricity company running on biodiesel fuel in your back yard. However, this might not be the best investment when you look at the ROI compared to solar panels or wind turbines.
- Project Green - WVEC of Virginia has partnered with the Port of Virginia and TFC Recycling to provide "green stories", tips, impact calculators and multimedia for the "Green Project" on what we can do right now to conserve. (WVEC; August 18, 2008)
- Directory:Fuel Efficiency
- Directory:Hypermiling -- Driving Tips for Better Mileage
- Directory:Home Generation:Ground Source Heat Pump
- Directory:Home Generation:Wind Turbine
- Directory:Home Generation:Solar PV
- Directory:Home Generation:Solar Heating
- Directory:Financial Resources
- Directory:Free Energy and Economy
- Directory:Investment Resources
- Directory:Investment Opportunities
- Directory:US:What You Can Do Now to Go Green and Save Money
- Directory:Requests for Proposals -- Energy