PESWiki.com -- Pure Energy Systems Wiki: Finding and facilitating breakthrough clean energy technologies.
The Synfuels demonstration plant, located in Bryan, Texas near Texas A&M University, is fully operational for the production of gasoline from natural gas.
How it Works
Synfuels technology can be applied in two configurations depending on the cracker mode selected.
With a Partial Oxidation Cracker, ethylene or gasoline blendstock and syngas are produced. The syngas can be converted into methanol or a number of other products, such as gasoline, ethylene and propylene.
If a Pyrolysis Cracker is selected, Synfuels technology only produces gasoline blendstock. Our proprietary cracker has been thoroughly tested with excellent results. Since the process downstream of the cracker is nearly the same regardless of the cracker selection, we anticipate minimal difficulty with the transition from the demonstration of Partial Oxidation to operating the unit in Pyrolysis mode.
With the integration of the ECLAIRS technology, installation of a new oligomerization reactor and the implementation of a new, larger cracker, the Synfuels technology has proven to operate efficiently and economically in the production of 95-octane fuel.
Unit costs as well as energy costs, e.g. cents/kw-h, including factors such as installation, maintenance, decommissioning; relative to other renewable technologies as well as relative to conventional energy products. list here
- Majority of stranded gas fields can be utilized.
- Synfuels commercial plants can provide excellent IRR at throughputs as low as 50 MM SCFD.
- Synfuels GTL Process dramatically reduces capital costs.
- Plants can be configured to produce a variety of products, such as gasoline blendstock, diesel, syngas, ethylene and methanol.
- Keys to the Synfuels Process are the innovative and patented steps that isolate and convert the desired intermediates while reducing recycle, compression and system volumes.
- ECLAIRS liquid-phase hydrogenation is the technology cornerstone.
- Over 75% of the world's known gas reserves are remote and/or stranded.
- About 5.3 trillion cubic feet of stranded gas is flared, vented or re-injected each year.
- The opportunity exists to yield 1.5 billion barrels of fuel per year from this stranded gas. (Over 4 million barrels per day)
- Synfuels GTL Process offers a new solution for a new source of fuel worldwide.
how many prototypes, how long tested, who tested, results of testing
Company: Synfuels International, Inc.
when founded, public/private, funding status, partners list here
how long working on idea, other inventions and accomplishments, link to profile site(s)
In the News
- Natural Gas / Oil >
Natural Gas to Gasoline - Synfuels International, says that the process uses fewer steps and is far more efficient than more established techniques based on the Fischer-Tropsch process. Synfuels uses proprietary catalysts along with off-the-shelf processes, dropping the price of a barrel of gasoline to $25. (MIT Technology Review; August 15, 2008)
- Franklin, Synfuels Sign Letter of Agreement for Tierra del Fuego Phase I GTL Plant' - Synfuels International, Inc. (www.synfuels.com) holds exclusive licensing
rights for a Texas A&M University developed GTL technology and has constructed a demonstration plant for the production of gasoline from natural gas using this revolutionary intellectual property. Located in Robertson County near Texas A&M University, the Synfuels demonstration plant has proven to operate efficiently and economically in the production of 95-octane fuel. (Reuters; July 9, 2008)
- Synfuels International sees fuel future in flared natural gas - "If you take the 4 quadrillion cubic feet of natural gas that is considered stranded or that's flared, and convert that into a liquid fuel, it will far surpass the oil in place today," said Ben Weber Jr., chairman and CEO of Synfuels International. "And it would be a more clean- burning fuel." (Dallas News; May 18, 2008)
- e.g. Wikipedia.org
- e.g. RexResearch.com
- e.g. OverUnity.com
See Discussion page
200 Crescent Court, Suite 1801
Dallas, Texas 75201
- Directory:Abiotic Oil
- Directory:Alternative Fuels
- Directory:Biodiesel from Algae Oil
- Directory:Clean Coal
- Directory:Microwave-based Oil Extraction
- Directory:Natural Gas
- PowerPedia:Natural gas
- Directory:Non-Fossil Oil
- Directory:North American Oil Fields
- Directory:Peak Oil
- Site:LRP:The Energy Non-Crisis
- Directory:Fuel Efficiency - main index
- News:Fuel Efficiency
- Fuel Efficient Vehicles
- Directory:Energy from Roadways
FUEL TREATMENT TECHNOLOGIES
- Fuel Additives
- Directory:Alternative Fuels
- Directory:Fuel Pre-Heating for Mileage Improvement
- Hydrogen Injection
- Directory:Running Vehicles on Water
- Directory:Clean Fuel Conversions
- Directory:Spark Plugs
- Directory:Hypermiling -- Driving Tips for Better Mileage
- Directory:Boron Additive
- Directory:Electric Vehicles
- Template:Electric Vehicles footer - more EV listings
VEHICLE HARDWARE MODIFICATIONS
- Directory:Air Cars