PESWiki.com -- Pure Energy Systems Wiki: Finding and facilitating breakthrough clean energy technologies.
Donations to PES are needed and greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Directory:Solar Hydrogen Energy Corporation (SHEC) Labs
Under the direction of inventor, J. Thomas Beck, SHEC Labs in Saskatoon, SK, Canada has demonstrated that solar energy can be concentrated to over 1500°F and used to produce Hydrogen. Proprietary catalytic process involved. Commercialization commenced May, 2006.
The water-to-hydrogen process is presently on hold, in favor of the methane-to-hydrogen process from landfills which eliminates a potent greenhouse gas. A pilot plant in Regina, SK Canada is expected to be completed in 2008.
Announcing in July 2008 that they had achieved a world record for concentrated solar thermal efficiency, they are in process of rolling out 3 gigawatts of power production capability divided among six solar farms of 500 MW output each, beginning overseas in 2008.
- http://www.shec-labs.com Solar Hydrogen Energy Corporation - SHEC Labs official website.
- http://www.solar-h.com/ Archive of Solar Hydrogen Energy Corp's previous website.
- Super Structure Design of a Solar Collection Array for Hydrogen Production - University of Victoria project page in association with SHEC.
- Download (13 Mb; mp3) - On July 12, 2008, Sterling D. Allan conducted a 53-minute interview with CEO, Tom Beck, as part of the Free Energy Now radio series, talking about their claim to have achieved a world record in solar thermal efficiency.
- Download (13 Mb; mp3) - On Nov. 26, 2007 Sterling D. Allan conducted a one-hour, live interview with Tom Beck regarding the landfill-gas-to-hydrogen technology being installed in Regina, SK Canada.
How it Works
See our write-up of the solar thermal collector set-up at http://pesn.com/2008/07/14/9501487_SHEC_labs_solar_thermal_record/
Several awarded and filed. See Google site search for 'patent'
NEC founder, Sterling D. Allan, posted the following on May 27, 2006.
- I traveled down to Phoenix two years ago to view a debut of a SHEC Solar Hydrogen prototype.
- I will say that I was very impressed with the scientific rigor being pursued. They had present some very sophisticated equipment and independent personnel to run that equipment and do the analysis of the rate of production.
- I was able to have lunch with some of the principals in the company.
- I don't have a good grasp of the efficiency of the system, but I will say that the technology appears to me to be much more credible and feasible than most of the things we at NEC review out in the fringe of science.
In the News
- Featured: Storage > Hydrogen >H Storage / Solar > Concentrated > Thermal > SHEC >
NEST Lines up Grid-Parity Solar - The first success story of the New Energy Systems Trust (NEST) seems to have already commenced with us lining up a breakthrough grid-parity solar company with an order for 4500 one-megawatt systems in India. SHEC Labs is a likely vendor of the biomass-to-H technology, if not using their solar thermal storage breakthrough. (PESN; May 9, 2012)
- Top 100: Solar > Concentrated > SHEC >
Higher Temperature Solar Thermal from SHEC - SHEC claims a concentration level of 5,000 to 22,000 suns with a "new counterintuitive and elegant design that uses no exotic materials." SHEC also claims a dramatic improvement in the power distribution curve, delivering five times as much energy over a 24-hour block of time. (GreenTechMedia; March 22, 2010)
- SHEC Energy relocates to new headquarters - starts commercialization - The new facility will host laboratories for ongoing product enhancement, a CNC machine shop, a welding shop, a super structure assembly area for building large scale solar arrays and a glass mirror forming operation to form the curved mirrors for the solar arrays. Summary given of SHEC's technology. (SHEC press release; June 17, 2009)
- SHEC Energy at World Future Energy Summit (WFES) - The WFES was heavily saturated by numerous companies making Photo Voltaic or Solar Cell technology. There were a few companies involved in Solar Thermal power generation. SHEC differentiated itself from the crowd as the only company that has developed a high efficiency solar thermal receiver that has been field proven over two years as well as having a high temperature thermal storage technology. (Jan. 29, 2009)
- Top 100: Solar H / Waste to Energy > SHEC >
SHEC LABS has moved up to the #2 position of the New Energy Congress Top 100 Clean Energy Technologies - The Top 100 is a prioritized listing by the New Energy Congress of the very best clean energy technologies according to ten criteria including: renewable, environmentally friendly, affordable, credible, reliable, developed, safe and not encumbered by politics of science. (BusinessWire; SHEC PR; Sept. 24, 2008)
- SHEC Labs Claims to Have World's Most Efficient Solar Thermal Tech - By focusing the concentrated rays into the aperture of a highly-reflective, elongated tube, by the time the light bounces back out, it has gradually dumped 95% of its heat into the tube, which can then be put to work. (PESN; July 14, 2008)
- Grand Opening - The City of Regina Hosts Ribbon Cutting Ceremony of their State of the Art Landfill Gas Collection System - System for collecting methane from landfill and venting it has been installed. [The next phase will pair the mathane with SHEC's technology to convert the methane to hydrogen gas.] (SHEC; November 2, 2007)
- Solar Hydrogen Energy Corp teams up with the University of Victoria for Large Scale Solar Concentrator - Having demonstrated its technology, SHEC is now working with the University of Victoria to increase the system efficiency and thereby lower collection cost. The UofV design team will be tasked with the analysis and modeling of the existing super structure, and building and analyzing a scaled down proof-of-concept. (SHEC; June 7, 2007)
- Super Structure Design of a Solar Collection Array for Hydrogen Production - UofVictoria project page.
- SHEC Lab's Solar Hydrogen Going Commercial - The city of Regina in Quebec has approved the installation of a process that will convert landfill methane into clean hydrogen, using the power of the Sun for the reformation, at a price comparable to traditional hydrogen production methods. (PESN; May 26, 2006)
- Renewable Solar Hydrogen Production - The SHEC labs system comprises a solar mirror array and advanced solar concentrator and shutter system, and two thermo-catalytic reactors to convert methane, carbon dioxide, and water into hydrogen, in a manner that appears to deliver more energy than it receives. (Environmental Science & Engineering; May 2005)
- SHEC Labs Applies for New Patent for Solar Receiver - Solar Hydrogen Energy Corporation announced the filing for a patent on their proprietary solar receiver. (PRWeb, Jan. 5, 2005)
- Solar Hydrogen Energy Corporation - . (PESN July 9, 2004)
- SHEC LABS Announces Strategic Partnership with Giffels Associates Limited - Giffels depth of resources and experience in environmental projects will be invaluable to help SHEC labs to develop large-scale commercial projects in the short term. (eMediaWire; Oct. 6, 2004)
- SHEC-Labs Announces Strategic Partnership with Clean 16 and The University of Toronto - Partnership will provide design and research assistance related to the cleaning and separation of landfill gas that will be processed into hydrogen in SHEC-Labs’ proprietary "Solar Hydrogen Generator". (eMediaWire; Oct. 16, 2004)
- SHEC Labs Announces Strategic Partnership with Hydrogenics Corporation - Hydrogenics is a world-leading manufacturer of hydrogen fuel cells and related technologies. (eMediaWire; Oct. 16, 2004)
- Canadian Group Produces Hydrogen from Water Using Solar Energy - Engineers examine and confirm hydrogen production from solar catalytic process. Estimated arrival in market: one year or less. (PESN; Sept. 13, 2004)
The Solar Hydrogen Energy process was exhibited at the Top 100 Clean Energy Technologies Display at the Environmental Hall of Fame in Chicago, 2008
SHEC LABS - Solar Hydrogen Energy Corporation
2214 Hanselman Ave.
Saskatoon, SK., Canada
See Discussion page
- Congress:Top 100 Technologies Energy Hall of Fame Chicago
- Directory:Solar Hydrogen
- Directory:Solar - index of resources
- News:Solar (current) | 2010 | 2009 | 2006-2008
- PowerPedia:Solar Energy - Encyclopedic review of history and future
- Directory:Solar Energy Research and Development
- Directory:Solar Problems
- Directory:Concentrated Solar Power
- Directory:Solar Infrared Harvesting
- Directory:Solar PhotoVoltaics
- Directory:Solar Thermal
- Directory:Home Generation:Solar Heating
- Directory:Thin Film Solar
- Directory:Solar:Photosynthesis Imitation
- Directory:Solar Paint
- Directory:Dye Solar Cells
- Directory:Solar Tower
- Directory:Floating Solar Chimney
- Directory:Space Based Solar Power
- Directory:Solar Sails
- Directory:Solar Windows
- Directory:Plastic Solar Cells
- Directory:Silicon - more efficient uses, alternatives, methods
- Directory:Black Silicon
- Directory:Synchronous Solar Heliostat
- Directory:Solar:Installation and Consultation
- Directory:Solar Applications
- Directory:Solar Hydrogen
- Directory:Walipini Underground Greenhouses
- OS:Solar Ethanol - distiller design
- Directory:Energy from Roadways
- Directory:Solar Pavement - black-body absorption of the asphalt