PESWiki.com -- Pure Energy Systems Wiki: Finding and facilitating breakthrough clean energy technologies.
Donations to PES are needed and greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Directory:Sahara Solar Breeder Super Apollo Project
Objective: Provide 50% of world electricity by 2050
Compiled by Sterling D. Allan
Pure Energy Systems News
November 27, 2010
An African ministry of foreign affairs is working with a Japanese ministry of education project headed by Prof. Hideomi Koinuma to explore the idea of using desert sands to create the silica for solar ("Apollo") panels that would fuel the fabrication of additional plants; and the power would be transmitted by Superconductors ("Super"). The excess produced could run desalinization plants to provide water for greening the desert.
The total research expenditure will be 100 million yen (US$1.1 million) annually for five years, but that won't be enough to complete the R&D portion of the project. The objectives of the research phase will be to demonstrate the possibility of manufacturing high-purity silicon from desert sand and constructing a high-temperature superconducting, long-distance, DC power supply system.
- "While we develop technology for using desert sand to make just one ton of silicon per year, or actually build just one power plant in the desert, all sorts of problems, such as sandstorms, will arise. And we will obtain basic data for solving those problems. Regarding superconductors, to connect the power supply from the desert to the world, the cables must be cooled with liquid nitrogen in a tropical climate. So for the time being, the goal of this research will be to obtain data on issues such as how deep the superconducting pipeline must be buried to minimize temperature fluctuations."
none found yet
The Sahara Solar Breeder Project : DigInfo News
- '(YouTube / Diginfonews; Nov. 23, 2010)
The University of Tokyo, Hirosaki University, NIMS, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Chubu University, National Institute of Informatics Sahara Solar Breeder Project
In the News
- Google News > Sahara Solar Breeder Project – extensively covered.
- Super Apollo Project solar breeder model for 50% world electricty by 2050 in the Sahara - The Sahara Solar Breeder Project, which will start from the basic research stage, has the grand goal of providing 50% of the energy used by humanity in 2050 as electrical energy converted from sunlight. The project's leader, Professor Koinuma, calls it the Super Apollo Project. (NextBigFuture; Nov. 25, 2010)
- The Sahara Solar Breeder Project - The Sahara Solar Breeder Project, a huge project led by Japanese scientists, is getting underway (Diginfo.tv; Nov. 24, 2010)
- Directory:Solar - index of resources
- News:Solar (current) | 2010 | 2009 | 2006-2008
- PowerPedia:Solar Energy - Encyclopedic review of history and future
- Directory:Solar Energy Research and Development
- Directory:Solar Problems
- Directory:Concentrated Solar Power
- Directory:Solar Infrared Harvesting
- Directory:Solar PhotoVoltaics
- Directory:Solar Thermal
- Directory:Home Generation:Solar Heating
- Directory:Thin Film Solar
- Directory:Solar:Photosynthesis Imitation
- Directory:Solar Paint
- Directory:Dye Solar Cells
- Directory:Solar Tower
- Directory:Floating Solar Chimney
- Directory:Space Based Solar Power
- Directory:Solar Sails
- Directory:Solar Windows
- Directory:Plastic Solar Cells
- Directory:Silicon - more efficient uses, alternatives, methods
- Directory:Black Silicon
- Directory:Synchronous Solar Heliostat
- Directory:Solar:Installation and Consultation
- Directory:Solar Applications
- Directory:Solar Hydrogen
- Directory:Walipini Underground Greenhouses
- OS:Solar Ethanol - distiller design
- Directory:Energy from Roadways
- Directory:Solar Pavement - black-body absorption of the asphalt