PESWiki.com -- Pure Energy Systems Wiki: Finding and facilitating breakthrough clean energy technologies.
Donations to PES are needed and greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Directory:Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion
Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion, or OTEC, seeks to harness the temperature difference between survace and deep sea water. It was was invented in 1881 by a French scientist, Jacques Arsene D'Arsonval.
- Ocean Energy Potential - Ocean energy is mostly in an experimental stage but some of its component technologies have the potential to become mainstream energy sources and are now being trialed. Elementary primer on three basic ways to tap the ocean for its energy. We can use the ocean's waves, we can use the ocean's high and low tides, or we can use temperature differences in the water. (EnergyBusinessReports; June 25, 2007) [Don't forget current and salt/fresh mixing.]
- 28 Years Ago on Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion - An MIT Technology Review article estimated that "massive ocean thermal energy conversion plants may be turning this heat to usable electricity by 1985." This vision has not yet been fulfilled, though progress is being made toward 6-8 cents/kW-h electricity by this method. (MIT Technology Review; July 21, 2006)
- Plumbing the oceans could bring limitless clean energy - Lockheed Martin Corporation is going to build a 10 MW Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion plant on Hawaii after receiving a $1.2 million contract from DOE and doing 30 years of research. "Video" (News Scientist; Nov. 19, 2008)
- Xenesys Inc thermal electric ocean energy systems - Xenesys has acquired an exclusive license for the patent on the "Uehara Cycle", developed by Saga University with higher efficiency than the conventional method, and is implementing demonstration testing using an OTEC mini model plant. (Video)
- Sea Solar Power - The 80 degrees F surface water in the tropical oceans serves as the heat source and typically 3,000 feet below the surface is the heat sink or the cold bottom water, which is 40 degrees F. This temperature difference or delta T is sufficient to operate vapor turbines, which drive generators and produces electricity and fresh water as a byproduct.
- SEA O2 Sustainable Development - Townsville Australia is positioned to become the centre for the research, development and commercialisation of the ocean based renewable energy technology, OTEC. Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion is a technology that has long been considered a potential source of low-cost, carbon-neutral, base-load electricity as well as bulk desalinated water.
- Jacques D'Arsonval (1851-1940) (whonamedit.com)
- Thermal Electic > Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion >
First robotic underwater vehicle to be powered entirely by natural, renewable, ocean thermal energy - The Sounding Oceanographic Lagrangrian Observer Thermal RECharging (SOLO-TREC) autonomous underwater vehicle uses a novel thermal recharging engine powered by the natural temperature differences found at different ocean depths, via phase change materials. So the vehicle can be powered indefinitely just by moving up and down in the water. (GizMag; April 8, 2010)
- Schauberger Ocean Power - At a certain depth in the Ocean, the temperature is at the anomaly point of +4 degrees Celsius, where, due to its enormous density, it is not possible to absorb any gases. By lowering a suitably designed length of pipe to the appropriate depth, atmospheric oxygen is delivered through an outer jacket, and the water will rise of its own accord up the center pipe, turning a turbine to produce electricity.
- Atmospheric Thermal Energy Conversion - ATEC utilizes the earth's thermal gradients to produce unlimited amounts of electric power. It does not depend on direct sunlight to operate. It will function with nearly the same efficiency during the night time hours as it does during the daylight hours.
In the News
- http://www.otecnews.org/ - The news source for Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion (OTEC)
- Sea Solar Power Inc. to Tap Sea Temperature Gradient - Those hot ocean waters have a more useful purpose than just generating hurricanes. A reverse refrigeration process generates electricity from the difference in temperature between surface and deep water. (PESN; Jan. 4, 2006)
- http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.06/craven.ht ml
See Discussion page
- OTEC News
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OTEC - Ocean thermal energy conversion
- Ocean Energy - A visual directory of ocean energy websites. (EnergyPlanet.info)
- Directory:Water from Air
- Directory:Water Filtration
- Directory:Water Purification
- Review: Tapped
ENERGY FROM THE MOVEMENT OF WATER
WATER AS FUEL
- Directory:Water as Fuel | PowerPedia:Water as fuel
- PowerPedia:Water gas
- Directory:Running Vehicles on Water
- Directory:Hydrogen from Water
- OS:Water Fuel Cell
- Directory:Water-Powered Batteries
OTHER ENERGY TECHNOLOGIES INVOLVING WATER
- Directory:Mixing Sea and River Water
- Directory:Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion
- Directory:Deep Lake Water Cooling
- Directory:Energy from Sewage
TYPES OF GEOTHERMAL
- Ground Source Heat Pumps | OS:Ground Source Heat Pump
- Directory:Geothermal Oil Wells
- Hydrothermal Vents
- Directory:Thermal Electric
- Directory:Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion