PESWiki.com -- Pure Energy Systems Wiki: Finding and facilitating breakthrough clean energy technologies.
Donations to PES are needed and greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Turbine Goes Against the Flow
The patent-pending, Neo-Aerodynamic turbine invented by Phi Tran harnesses torque from both kinetic and pneumatic energy of the fluid flow (wind or water). Since the 'lift' forces are caused by artificial flow of the fluid (air/wind) around the center of the turbine, the turbine's worst enemy -- turbulence -- is neutralized.
The efficiencies are high enough to make this turbine design economically competitive with fossil-fuel-generated electricity. It is able to function well in low wind areas, making it ideal for city/urban roof top and back yard settings, requiring no tower.
- "A $10-15,000 roof top or backyard device will produce enough electricity for one California family including heat for cooking and air conditioning." -- Phi Tran
The design is applicable to harness energy from any of the following resources: Wind, River, Creek, Ocean current, Tidal current and Wave.
Company is seeking investors.
- Download (13 Mb, mp3) - On June 2, 2007 from 5:00 - 5:55 pm Central, Sterling D. Allan conducted a live 1-hour interview with Phi Tran of Neo-AeroDynamic as part of the [http:freeenergynow.net Free Energy Now] radio series.
June 1, 2007
The company is presently producing 10 beta units to disperse around various nations. It hopes to have the first 1000 residential units installed by the end of 2007.
- http://www.nextenergynews.com/windpower/windpower9.html as a wind turbine
- http://www.nextenergynews.com/hydropower/hydropower1.html as a dam-less hydro turbine
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXSWATvU_aI for the data report and calculation formula.
(US?) patent pending
Tests are under guidance to report to Dr Ajit Thakker of the University of Limerick in Ireland and at least one other independent labs have tested the device with consistent results. Three more independent academic research projects are set up for the coming fall semester.
A researcher a Oxford University in Amsterdam said that the lift into the wind makes this design superior. Add to that the advantage of the vast surface area, which does not work much against the turbine on the leeward side due to the lift.
Phi Tran writes:
Neo-Aerodynamic introduces a new technology to extract kinetic energy from a flowing fluid, providing “unheard-of? amounts of electricity as the final result; this “rate has not been seen before?. During the development of this technology we have gone from one surprising result to the other. At times we could not believe our eyes when we read the measurements; in the end we had to settle for what the equipment tells us.
Neo-Aerodynamic indeed sparks a new energy revolution by providing for the first time in history a concrete means for humans to harness most of their energy needs through a renewable resource. For example: a 2m diameter by 2m height hydro Neo-Aerodynamic device could generate a NET power of several megawatts.
Neo-Aerodynamic provides the most INEXPENSIVE means to generate electricity even when compared to fossil fuel engines.
Neo-Aerodynamic has a high sensitivity to the fluid stream and a superb rate of energy return allowing it to be economically deployed in almost every corner of the world. With wind, you feel it you get it. With water, you see it you get it.
How It Works
Phi Tran writes:
Fluid always goes from a hi- to a low-pressured place. In fluid aerodynamic; when something stands in its flow it then causes the flow facing front having higher pressure. Using airfoil in the path of the flow; its aerodynamic effect will cause a lift, like it works with an airplane.
Observations from introducing color streams of fluid to the device, analyzing the video clips.
On the wind facing (wind make) side; the flow are then redirect outward form the center. It then causes the “lift? on airfoils to push it turning. Once the device is turning it causes the center to have lower pressure; the outside air then rushes in to fill those vacuums. This flow is then redirected to cause “lift? on the airfoil. When turning; the special arrange of the airfoil allowing the volume of the air passing through the upper chamber are always more then of the lower chamber. This also causes the lift to make the device turn.
In short; Neo-Aerodynamic uses the artificial flow of the air to cause the lift on its airfoils. That's why it's called Neo-AeroDynamic.
In case of a horizontal axis propeller it's easy to understand that its swept area is on the surface that is parallel to the cross section of it axis. In this case it is the same as the wind facing surface.
In case of a Neo-Aero-Dynamic device the swept area is the same area as the cross section of the airfoils sweep. It is the surface that's parallel to the cross section of it's axis. Therefore as of the wind, the swept area of a Neo-Aero-Dynamic device is on a horizontal plane. This concept is VERY IMPORTANT because we will use the swept area to calculate the output of a Neo-Aero-Dynamic device.
It’s also very important that the commonly understood “swept area? that we use to calculate the rated output of the horizontal propeller does not apply to this device because:
- There's no wind move through its airfoils.
- Turbulence and the attack angle of each airfoil changes at every moment.
- On each airfoil; the pressure posing on the upper chamber and the lower chamber are different and constantly changing.
As the result; known methods such as "Betz" limit become useless. Everything we use to calculate the output has to come from actual measurements on either wind tunnel test models or real life installation.
The Calculation of the Output
Wind tunnel model tests and real life devices have proven:
- The output of the device is proportional to the square of the diameter of the rotor or proportional to it swept area. Please see the “Swept Area? above.
- The output of the device is proportional to the height of the device.
- The output of the device is proportional to the wind speed at it power 3 (V^3).
- O = a x D^2 x H x V^3, where:
- O is output; usually in Watts;
- D is diameter;
- H is height;
- V is fluid flow speed;
- a is a parameter representing the effectiveness of the device (higher when the diameter increases), plus the density of the fluid and the type of airfoil. As an example; in ocean level, the density of the wind: if D , H in U.S. feet, V in m/s, then a would be 0.0087 for device has diameter of 1 feet or less, above that and less then 2 feet it would be 0,01018. It becomes more then 0.02 for NACA series 7 and 6 feet diameter. When the Neo-AeroDynamic device is used as a turbine in a water stream; we expect the parameter to be 786 times the value as it is when functioning in the air (water is 786 times heavier then air).
A NOTE AND QUESTION There is something always puzzling us when we apply our actual measurements to calculate the CP (Capacity performance) with the wind facing area equal to D x H. If we apply the above equation then the CP is proportional with the diameter. We and at least one other independent laboratory have spent times and times to make sure our measuring equipments are right. So far we use the above equation to set up the expected/projected results before build, however the actual NET outputs are always beyond that and those on the "open air" seem to be better functioning then those in the wind tunnel.
I post this note to ask the "great mind(s)" Please help us to explain the phenomena.
Wind application advantages
- works on "you feel it you get it", it does not require years of observation and gathering data.
- mainly works on pneumatic force of the wind therefore it's not effect by turbulence or wind drag.
- has phenomenally high capture rate; because its capture rate is at least proportional to its diameter.
- does not require a tower, allowing equipment to be maintained at or close to the ground.
- can be scaled independently its width and or its height to fit your application.
- works on low wind speed while other technologies provide too little.
- increases its effectiveness along with the density of the medium (air and water) while other decrease.
- only requires a fraction of the investment compare to other technologies (HAWT). This makes it the most inexpensive to build and the fastest turn around of your investment.
- simple to operate; no yawing, no controller to have it facing to the wind.
- safe in reaction to the wind rush.
- low profile ; not being scenic pollution.
- does not have shadow nuisances.
- can be adapted to city/subdivision residential area or backyard.
- works in both air and water medium.
- Hydro Neo-Aerodynamic can be either float or bottom dwelling.
- Both Hydro and aero devices are compact; easy to be transported or making it portable.
Water application advantages
As a stream turbine it has the following advantages including:
- Elimination of the costly dam building
- Enable mankind to tap into thousand, thousand miles of river the forgotten renewable energy source, to be placed where it's needed, voiding the high cost of transmission loss.
- Neo-Aerodynamic works on virtually any water flow (speed, head).
- It does not require the water to be deep and work even on a very low water speed as shown in the video.
- After generating power; the turbine will lowering the speed of the water stream to reduce the soil erosion problems.
- One of the main advantages is a Neo- Aerodynamic allowing the device to be scaled independently in horizontally or vertically to fit your existing environment.
- Neo- Aerodynamic can also be modified to capture tidal flow and oceanic current, the virtually untapped blue power.
- Neo- Aerodynamic neutralize the worst enemy; the turbulence; this gives an answer to the question why it works while others fail.
- It may be used for all: river, ocean currents, and wave via ocean wave currents.
- It does not block the passage of fish.
- It is more efficient in energy conversion than dam hydro.
- It does not create stagnant water which results in.
- The production of disease causing malaria mosquitoes.
- Environment suited to disease carrying snails.
- The production of methane gas caused by submersion of trees.
- It does not require people to move from areas as do dams.
- Permit the deposition of alluvial (water carried) soil during the flooding season for farmers as compared to dams that block distribution of this valuable resource.
- They do not have the potential hazard that dams pose as they age or become weakened by earthquakes
- They cost less to install, maintain (removal of silt) and remove than dams.
- They can be anchored in oceans where tidal or natural currents such as the Gulf Current flows. Dams cannot be used in open seas.
- They can be installed almost anywhere along the course of the stream while most (not all) places that are suitable for dam building have been already utilized.
Wind application disadvantages
- As of any technology, there may be a limit of how width and or how high it can be built.
- As of any technology, there may be a new, better "invention"?
- Being backed by actual models; despite the fact that Neo-Dynamic has the same or better tip-speed, it usually requires a higher ratio gearbox (more expensive) to take advantage of capturing the energy when the wind speed is slow.
Water application disadvantages
- Transmission line length would have to increase
- The amount of power might decrease during the dry season for rivers if water sources declined but this will also be true of dam water as well since water levels also drop.
- While dam base hydro turbine can regulate output by turning-off number of turbines; when the power is in less needed to save the "water" for later peek demand. Free-flow does not have that capability.
- Dam base hydro turbines are more attractive to developer and/or investor because its facility can be bigger, easier to manage.
*Thanks to Adrian Akau for most of the items on the above lists.
Phi Tran estimates a 1 MW Wind turbine would cost less than US $200,000.00; and a 1 MW Hydro turbine would cost half that.
The return on investment is estimated at three to five years.
Privately held entity. Opportunities are open to individuals/parties who have the benefit of mankind at heart.
Inventor: Phi Tran
12415 Keepers Trail
See Discussion page
- Directory:Vertical Axis Wind Turbines
- Directory:River Energy
- Directory:Tidal Power