PESWiki.com -- Pure Energy Systems Wiki: Finding and facilitating breakthrough clean energy technologies.
Donations to PES are needed and greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Last major update: October 24, 2008
Presently-Affordable, Clean Energy Solutions for Municipalities
Directory page for mayors, governors, presidents and other civic leaders who are moving their utilities closer to "greener" alternatives, away from dependence on fossil fuels.
We hope that this page of presently-available, clean energy technologies will help you implement some of these solutions locally for your citizens and for future generations. Note that in many cases, these technologies have a price point that is actually in competition with fossil-based fuels. We live in a day when going green doesn't just have to have a feel-good reward for the sake of future generations, but can actually save money.
Ideas for Civic Leaders
- Push for "Alternative Energy" courses, certifications and degrees in your local schools, from elementary schools to universities.
- Hold alt. energy training courses for municipal energy staff.
- Provide educational resources for real estate developers to implement energy-wise systems in their new buildings.
- Implement new legislation that requires implementation of certain energy-saving approaches (e.g. double pane, insulation, ground source heat pump, conserving shower heads in new builds, CFLs in light fixtures, gray water recycling).
Specific Technology/Company Recommendations
The following is a list of some of the very best clean energy technologies suited to municipal implementation. The ranking is derived primarily from the Top 100 Clean Energy Technologies list produced by the New Energy Congress in association with PES Network, Inc..
- Directory:EarthLinked Technologies - Company has been in the business of installing Ground Source Heat Pumps for nearly two decades. The residential and commercial systems save energy in the winter and summer, drawing from the thermal mass of the earth with their direct geo-exchange technology.
- GPI's Municipal Waste-to-Diesel+ Plants - Green Power Inc has developed a catalytic pressureless depolymerization (CPD) process they call "NanoDiesel" that inexpensively converts biomass and municipal waste into high quality diesel fuel, which could solve the world's energy and waste problems at the same time, without upsetting the CO2 balance. In production, with 100 ton/day demonstration prototype in Pasco, Washington.
- River / Vortex >
Zotloterer Gravitational Vortex Power Plant - Mini-power plant is simple to construct, has a turbine efficiency of 80% but and safe for fish due to low turbine speed. The gravitational vortex hydro technology can be applied with water drop as little as 0.7 meters. The cost for installation of the prototype was close to $1/watt capacity. (http://www.zotloeterer.com/)
- MEMO: I would imagine that many communities might have one or more places suitable for such an exploitation of their local river water resource. This one is not "available" in the sense that you can just order it, but it is simple enough for any water power engineer to build a local one. Zotlöterer himself is happy to supply plans or help with information, I believe. -- Sepp Hasslberger
- Directory:Solar >
International Automated Systems - Utility scale solar presently in process of being commercially installed for first time; alleged to produce electricity at 3-5 cents per kilowatt-hour. Highly-efficient bladeless turbine has wide range of waste-heat-harnessing applications. Methanol production technique will draw CO2 out of the environment, reversing global warming. (http://IAUS.com)
- Wind > Vertical Axis >
TMA Global Wind Energy Systems - Vertical axis wind turbine design creates pull on the back side contributing to 40%+ wind conversion efficiencies, doesn't kill birds, runs more quietly, doesn't need to be installed as high, blends better with landscape. Cost-competitive with the best horizontal axis propeller designs. Going commercial. (http://www.tmawind.com)
- Geothermal >
Raser is Rapidly Deploying Cost-Effective Geothermal Power - Instead of using electricity to turn a heat pump to cool a liquid, Raser runs a warmed liquid through a heat pump to generate electricity. With their rapid, low-cost deployment capability, they could maximize the U.S. geothermal capacity within ten years. Also developing waste-heat-harnessing technology. (http://rasertech.com)
- Tidal / River >
Venturi System Optimizes Water Flow Harnessing - Patented venturi containment system increases turbine efficiency 3.85 times what the turbine would produce without the system, making this a world leading design. The company is now commencing the commercialization stage, with an expected price that competes with coal in the range of 3.5 to 6 cents per kw-h.
- Directory:Solar >
SkyBuilt aims to be the Dell of renewable energy systems - Uses rugged shipping containers as foundation for made-to-order designs for quick deployment in off-grid applications. Ideally suited for emergency response. (http://SkyBuilt.com)
Relevant Technology Topics PESWiki
- Directory:Biodiesel - Directory of technologies and resources relating to biodiesel.
- Directory:Biomass - Organic waste matter to energy is now the largest alt energy provider in the U.S.
- Directory:Conservation - On how to use less without necessarily compromising quality of life, and sometimes even improving it.
- Directory:Engines - Efficient engine designs that better utilize fuel than the conventional internal-combustion engine
- Directory:Ethanol - Not without controversy. Some methods take more energy to grow than is derived from burning the end product. Biomass solutions should focus on waste organic material that would not otherwise be used. Also anything above about 10% Ethanol in fuel begins to rip apart the engine. The solvent action of ethanol has been shown to denigrates the lubricity of the oil.
- Directory:Fuel Efficiency - Index of ~1000 various methods and products for improving mileage.
- Directory:GeoBioreactors - A process that may provide opportunity to convert finite oil resources to long-term generation of natural gas.
- Directory:Nuclear Remediation - Index of technologies that neutralize or mitigate radioactive waste. With such technologies developed, nuclear power once again becomes attractive, because the spent fuel no longer is a hot issue. U.S. DOE knows of this technology but chooses to not promote it for some reason that they are not disclosing.
- Directory:Power Factor Correction - Key for industrial energy savings (most commercial facilities know about this and have it implemented, however, everyone should have it in place, including municipal facilities).
- Directory:Pipe Pressure Power - Systems that capture untapped energy from piping and transform it into electricity. Surplus energy is available within pipes and systems where gases, liquids or solids exert excess pressure.
- Directory:River Energy - Directory of technologies that harness the power of rivers, outside of dam technologies.
- Directory:Ocean Wave Energy - Methods for harnessing the undulating action of waves to generate usable energy. From research and development to presently implemented solutions that harness the power of waves for energy production.
- Directory:Solar - Solar energy technologies cover the various innovations used to harnessing energy from the light/heat of the Sun. Solar farms are now approaching a price point that is competative with fossil fuel based systems.
- Directory:Thermal Electric - Technologies that convert heat (e.g. waste heat, geothermal, solar) into electricity.
- Directory:Tidal Power - Tidal power, sometimes called tidal energy, is a form of hydropower that exploits the movement of water caused by tidal currents or the rise and fall in sea levels due to the tides.
- Directory:Waste to Energy - Index of organizations and processes that use garbage, sewage, unusable crop and other waste products to generate energy efficiently, cleanly, and cost-effectively.
- Directory:Water - Index of methods of obtaining and purifying water, including water from air through condensation. The advent of free energy will solve the water crisis, making clean water available most anywhere at most any quantity.
- Directory:Wind - Has now matched conventional prices, approaching 4 cents per kilowatt-hour.
Relevant Resource Topics PESWiki
- Directory:US:What You Can Do Now to Go Green and Save Money - Products and concepts presently available and doable which help you reduce your footprint on the planet while also saving you money.
- Directory:Energy Maps - A directory of maps charting energy resource availability, including wind, solar, geothermal.
- Directory:Trends - Collection of news stories that reflect thematic movement in the world toward acceptance of clean, alternative, and even hitherto marginalized 'free energy' technologies.
- PAC - Directory of Political Action Committees and related resources.
- Directory:Global Warming - Scientific documentation and ramifications of global warming from both human as well as natural causes.
- Wikipedia:List of energy topics - First compiled by Sterling D. Allan, with emphasis on clean, renewable sources.
- U.S. Green Building Council - Sets standards for green building for voluntary compliance and certifications.
- Cents per Kilowatt-hour: Energy Types Compared - Energy modality comparison based on projected "cents per kilowatt-hour". Ranging from Gas, Coal and Nuclar, to Solar, Wind, Tide, OTEC and other renewables.
- Energy by orders of magnitude - List describes various energy levels between 10−31 joules and 1070 joules. (Wikipedia)
- Fuel Energy Equivalency Calculator - SHEC-Labs has released a free web-based energy conversion calculator. Did you ever want to know how a litre of liquid hydrogen equates to a cubic foot of hydrogen, a cubic meter of hydrogen or a litre of gasoline? How does hydrogen compare to other fuels? What is the energy content of various fuels? (SHEK-Labs; May 5, 2005)
Solicitations to Governments
- Featured: Videos > Wind / PAC >
Pickens Plan Video Contest - Former oilman, Billionaire T. Boone Pickens, invites you to 1) sign a petition telling Senator Obama and Senator McCain to adopt the Pickens Plan to break our oil addiction, 2) come up with a < 60 sec energy ad to push the candidates to endorse the Plan. Deadline: Oct. 25. (PESWiki; Oct 22, 2008)
- Summit Emphasizes Profitability of Going Green - Mayors from around the U.S. meet to learn more about problem of climate change and to be armed with solutions that they can implement on the most local level of government. (PESN; July 13, 2005)
- Seven Governors Urge President to Lead on Energy (PDF) - Governors’ open letter urges energy independence within a decade. Letter comes at crucial moment in passage of energy bill. (Apollo Alliance; July 15, 2005)
In visiting the various pages on our site, you are going to be encountering the pariah term: "free energy." In our context, "free energy" refers to sources of energy that are inexhaustible, including solar, wind, geothermal, wave, tide; as well as more exotic emerging technologies such as magnet motors and devices that tap into the vacuum of space. The devices that harness that energy are certainly not free. The quest is to find technologies that do so as cleanly, reliably, efficiently, and inexpensively as possible. There are a wide number of viable as well as pending technologies. There is no good reason for our dependence on oil.
See Discussion page
- Crackpots and Genius - New energy pioneers are often also involved in pushing the envelop in other areas of life. Such involvement should not be shunned but should serve as a sign that someone is cut out to launch a revolutionary technology -- practiced at withstanding the heat. (PESN; Mar. 8; 2007)