PESWiki.com -- Pure Energy Systems Wiki: Finding and facilitating breakthrough clean energy technologies.
Donations to PES are needed and greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Directory:Inertial-Electrodynamic Fusion Device
Dr. Bussard and his team at Energy/Matter Conversion Corporation, after close to 20 years of hard work, have developed a revolutionary radiation-free fusion process that takes boron-11 and fuses a proton to it, producing, in its excited state, a carbon-12 atom. This excited carbon-12 atom decays to beryllium-8 and helium-4. It was developed under a DOD contract and has recently been made public.
- Should Google Go Nuclear? Clean, cheap, nuclear power (no, really) (1:32 hours) - Dr. Robert W. Bussard gives a lecture for Google. (Google Video)
Aug. 23, 2007
An anonymous tip reports: "Dr. Bussard's Polywell Fusion Reactor has had it's DOD funding restored."
Dr Bussard's former assistant Tom Ligon confirmed Navy funding for WB7 here: 
How it Works
- "The fusion process recommended by Dr. Bussard takes boron-11 and fuses a proton to it, producing, in its excited state, a carbon-12 atom. This excited carbon-12 atom decays to beryllium-8 and helium-4. Beryllium-8 very quickly (in 10-13 s) decays into two more helium-4 atoms. This is the only nuclear-energy releasing process in the whole world that releases fusion energy and three helium atoms -- and no neutrons. This reaction is completely radiation free.
- "[The fusion process that powers stars is enabled by the gravitational force field that draws particles directly together]. Only one other force is known to be like gravity: this is the electric field force or "coulomb" force, between electrically-charged particles.
- "Charged particles of opposite signs attract each other with direct forces; charged particles in electric fields feel forces directly along field gradients. Thus, fusion fuel plasmas could be held together efficiently by electric forces and electric fields. This is called "Electric Fusion".
- "The basic approach of electric fusion is the following:
- * Quasi-spherical magnetic fields trap injected energetic electrons to form spherical negative potential well.
- * Fusion ions trapped in this spherical well focused through central region oscillate across the "core" until they are reacted.
- * The system acts like a spherical colliding beam device.
- * Fuel gas is input at the potential well edge. Fusion products escape to system walls.
- * Ion fusion power generation occurs in a central region.
- * Electron drive power is decoupled from the fusion process.
- * Power balance is set by injected electron losses; the main losses occurring through the magnetic cusps and to walls.
- * Magnetic confinement of electrons is critical.
- * "Wiffle Ball" (WB) effect insures cusp sealing.
- * Magnetic insulation of the walls is important.
- * "Magrid" (MG) effect reduces power and raises gain.
In summary, Dr. Bussard's Inertial Electrostatic Fusion offers 
- Small, efficient power reactors, 1-3% the size of current magnetic confinement reactors.
- Clean, radiation-free energy utilizing p B-11.
- Relatively simple engineering with commercial viability in 6-10 years.
- Low cost ($150-200 million from program inception to demonstration of clean power.)
- Inertial-Electrodynamic Fusion Device receives 2006 Technology of the Year Award - Feature page about the technology at the International Academy of Sciences website.
Inventor: Robert W. Bussard
http://www.science.edu/TechoftheYear/TechoftheYear.htm - A brief bio of Dr. Robert W. Bussard is found at the end of the page.
American physicist, received his PhD from Princeton.
Co-founder and director of Energy/Matter Conversion Corporation.
Former Assistant Director to the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission. Has held prominent positions at Los Alamos National Laboratories, Oakridge Labs, and TRW Systems.
In the News
- Top 100: Fusion >
Fusion we can Believe in? - An $1.8 million experiment, funded by the U.S. Navy, has verified some interesting results that the late physicist Robert Bussard coaxed out of a high-voltage inertial electrostatic contraption known as WB-6. (Cosmic Log; Dec 16, 2008)
- Vital Electric Fusion: Proven, Safe, Cheap - Energy device in funding limbo for two decades -- dying on the vine for lack of nuclear weapons potential. Method developed by US Physicist, Dr. Robert W. Bussard, does not need to release neutrons (radioactivity) as part of the fusion process. (PESN; May 9, 2007)
See Discussion page
EMC2 FUSION DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
c1202 Parkway Drive Suite A
Santa Fe, NM 87507
- Directory:Nuclear | PowerPedia:Nuclear power
TYPES OF REACTORS
- Directory:Cold Fusion | PowerPedia:Cold Fusion | Site:LRP:Cold Fusion | News:Cold Fusion
- Directory:Noble Gas Engines | Template:Noble Gas footer
- Directory:Thorium Reactors | PowerPedia:Thorium Reactors
- Directory:Resonant Nuclear Reactor
- PowerPedia:Nuclear fission
- Directory:Andrea A. Rossi Cold Fusion Generator
- Directory:Focus Fusion
- OS:Heat Source Unit Nuclear Reactor
- Directory:Toshiba's Micro Nuclear Reactor
- Directory:Large Hadron Collider
- Directory:Hot Balls Chemical Nuclear Reaction
- Directory:Hortong Electron Orbit Energy Generator