PESWiki.com -- Pure Energy Systems Wiki: Finding and facilitating breakthrough clean energy technologies.
Donations to PES are needed and greatly appreciated. Thank you.
- For article , see PowerPedia:Hybrid_car.
- Hybrid Vehicles
- Are vehicles that run on a combination of fuels, usually petroleum and electricity. There are a number of different hybrid vehicle designs, including combined internal combustion and electric engines that operate in concert and separate internal combustion and electric engines that operate independently.
- Electric Vehicles >
PopSci Archive Gallery: The Electric Car, 1916-Present - Starting with August of 1916, which was their first issue to cover a hybrid gasoline-electric automobile; then passing through 1920, when electric cars were preferred because of the high price of gas, dropping in interest as gas dropped in price; then through several iterations in between including a 1968 GM stirling engine hybrid and their 1990 EV1; ending with the rebirth in 2008; PopSci gives 17 snapshots through EV history. (Popular Science; July 23, 2010)
Featured at PESWiki
- Featured: Electromagnetic > Motors / EVs >
Ultra efficient and powerful Magnetronic Motor (Interview) - Because the design by Millennial Motors, Inc. eliminates more than 95% of the iron from their motor, they are able to capture nearly all of the collapsing electromagnetic fields into a capacitor to be used again in the next pulse. Their coils are ultra simple to wind, and are arranged in removable, modular nodes. (PESWiki; Oct. 15, 2008)
- Hydristor to convert vehicles into green hybrids - This infinitely variable vane hydraulic pump/motor is basically a simplified automatic transmission with no gears, with regenerative storage capability. Aiming to retrofit existing vehicles, it is projected to double or even triple mileage, while drastically cutting emissions (to 1/4) and boosting performance.
- Hybrid Bus: e-Traction Revolution on Wheel - Whisper™ buses in the Netherlands get 13.9 mpg by using a diesel engine with an electrical generator to produce electricity which runs electric motors that are directly connected to wheels (series hybrid).
- Electrocharger is the world's first hybrid retrofit that allows you to convert your car into a hybrid electric vehicle. Takes the place of the alternator and contributes to acceleration.
Do It Yourself Plans and Kits
- Featured: Fuel Efficient Vehicles > Hybrids >
XR-3 build-it-yourself hybrid car by Robert Q. Riley Enterprises, LLC - The XR3 Hybrid is a super-fuel-efficient, two-passenger, plug-in hybrid that achieves 125 mpg on diesel power alone, 225 mpg on combined diesel and electric power, with performance like a conventional automobile, focusing on existing technologies that make conserving energy a fun driving experience. (PESWiki; Sept. 20, 2008)
Types of Hybrids
- World's Biggest EV Hauls 345 Tons' - Caterpillar's come out with a new line of electric-drive mining trucks called the AC Series, and some diesels that belch less pollution than the other ginormous vehicles the company builds. Depending upon your perspective, this...could be the most amazing engineering feat since the Manhattan Project. (Wired; Sept. 26, 2008)
- Flywheel Energy Store Hybrid Light Railcars - Parry People Movers hybrid light railcars are equipped with a flywheel energy store to capture braking energy for use in acceleration. The railcars can be powered by an on board LPG-fueled automotive engine, diesel- or hydrogen-fueled internal combustion engines, or hydrogen fuel cells. (Green Car Congress; Jun. 24, 2007)
See Directory:Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles -- PHEV (separate page) - Some hybrid owners are doing plug-in conversions by adding batteries or replacing them with larger capacity units. Add an inverter and a plug to make a plug-in hybrid. The control system can also be altered so that the gas engine kicks in at a higher speed.
- Volkswagen’s Diesel-Hybrid L1 Concept Gets 170 MPG - Volkswagen will display an updated version of its 1-Liter concept this week at the 2009 Frankfurt Motor Show. The diesel-hybrid car only weighs around 800 lbs gets an jaw-dropping 170 MPG. Available by 2013. (Gas 2.0; Sept 14, 2009)
- Caterpillar Builds World’s First Hybrid Bulldozer - The D7E represents a mid-range dozer between Caterpillar’s popular D6 and D8 models, and commands a price premium of 20%, or $100,000, over a standard D7R. But that 20% can be recouped in as little as two years thanks to fuel savings of 10-30%. Plus, the electric-diesel drive system offers better power than its predecessor. (Gas 2.0; Sept. 18, 2009)
- What's green, three-wheeled and can park by the blue signs? - The BioTrike is a tadpole-style three-wheeled plug-in hybrid vehicle that burns biodiesel in a Caterpillar-sourced engine with a range of somewhere between 700 and 900 miles with a full tank and a full charge. (Autoblog Green; Feb 1, 2009)
- Seattle's Foss Maritime develops "hybrid" tugboats - Foss Maritime has developed the Prius of tugboats, which consumes less diesel and generates less pollution by using batteries for all the vessel's low-power needs.(Seattle Times; Jan. 4, 2009)
Internal Combustion / Electric
ICE runs recharger only (Series hybrid)
See Directory:Series Hybrid Electric Vehicles - Directory of hybrid electric vehicles and resources, in which an internal combustion or other engine runs a generator, which runs an electric motor to propel the vehicle.
ICE / Motor (Parallel hybrid)
- Toyota Prius
- Feature: Emergency Preparedness / Grid / Hybrid Vehicles >
Priuses power house during 24-hour grid outage in Washington DC - A family in D.C. was able to power all their essential equipment, including two refrigerators and lights; and a lot more, including their TV, computer, some cooling fans, and a cell phone battery; by attaching 1000-Watt inverters to their two Toyota Priuses in their garage, using ~1/2 gallon of fuel per hour. (PESN; July 19, 2010)
- Feature: Emergency Preparedness / Grid / Hybrid Vehicles >
- Honda Accord Hybrid
- Fuel Efficiency / EVs > Hybrids >
Porsche Gets the Go-Ahead for the Sexiest Hybrid Ever - Porsche’s first ever plug-in hybrid, the 918 Spyder, goes from 0-60 in 3.2 seconds, gets 94 miles per gallon. The car’s major zip comes from a 3.4L mid-mounted V8 hitting 500-hp, and the engine is coupled with two electric motors that give it an extra 218-hp. Only US $630,000! (Inhabitat; July 30, 2010)
- EVs / Hybrids >
Porsche 918 Spyder plug-in hybrid concept gets 78 mpg, hits 62 mph in 3.2 seconds - At full gallop, powered by a 500-HP V8 plus 218 HP electric motors, the Spyder can theoretically reach 62 miles per hour in 3.2 seconds and nip 198 mph on the high end. On the flip side, Porsche says it can also achieve 78 miles per gallon. (AutoBlog; Mar 1, 2010)
- Fuel Efficiency / EVs > Hybrids >
- Directory:Aptera - is now accepting orders for their lightweight three wheeled hybrid car made of composite materials. It is estimated to acheive 300 mpg fuel efficiency and a 95 mph top speed at a price of less than $30,000.
- Hyundai’s pioneering LPG-hybrid Elantra in contention for Australia - Hyundai is preparing to launch the world’s first hybrid vehicle powered by advanced lithium-polymer batteries and capable of running on liquefied petroleum gas (LPG). (Car Central; July 9, 2008)
- Axon eco-car: 100mpg and 90mph - Launched today at the Sexy Green Car Show at the Eden Project in Cornwall, the car is the work of Northamptonshire-based company Axon Automotive. BBC Video (Sky Motoring; May 22, 2008)
- Reducing the cost of lithium ion batteries - Ricardo and QinetiQ will try to bring the cost of lithium ion batteries down so that they can be commercially viable without degrading performance. In 2006 they showed off their Efficient-C diesel hybrid Citroen Berlingo van but acknowledged that the hybrid's extra cost needed to be reduced by half to €2,000. (AutoblogGreen; Nov. 8, 2007)
- 200 MPG Velozzi Micro-Turbine Electric Hybrid - The Velozzi derives its power from a lithium ion battery pack recharged by an on-board micro turbine, which uses any heavy fuel such as gasoline, ethanol, methanol, diesel or bio diesel. The company’s working model indicates great performance: 100–200 mpg; 0–60 MPH in 3 seconds; 200 MPH top speed. (SEMA; Apr. 25, 2007 )
- TNO Hybrid Carlab - This Beetle finished 2nd in the 2005 Rallye Monte Carlo for Hybrid Vehicles using < 4 litres/100km (59 mpg US). A 150kW AC Propulsion electrical system powers the front wheels supplied by a generator set based on a VW 1.2 TDI 3-cylinder diesel engine and UQM generator. Peak power is supplied by a supercapacitor pack consisting of 3500F Nesscap cells.
- The VentureOne Hybrid and EV: 100 MPH, 100 MPG - The VentureOne three-wheeler will be available as a hybrid with 300 mile range or as an all electric vehicle with 120 mile range. It seats two and is capable of 100 mph with 100 mpg fuel efficiency and can tilt almost 45º in turns. To be released in late 2008, priced in the $20,000 range. (TreeHugger; Feb. 16, 2007)
- Remote Hybrid Helper Could Turn Any Car into a Hybrid - With its own batteries and electric motors, the semi truck trailer pusher would assist the trailer up the hill and then use massive battery packs to capture breaking energy generated going down the hill. (EcoGeek; Apr. 28, 2008)
- RailPower Technologies - The Green Goat® hybrid locomotive can reduce fuel consumption and greenhouse gas emissions by 40% to 70%. The large diesel engine is replaced with a small genset, a battery pack and a computerized control module. The heavy batteries give the locomotive good traction and the genset runs only when the batteries need charging.
- Solar Sailor - Hybrid marine power combines conventional engines with Solar Wing technology utilising solar & wind energy. Depending on weather conditions, these two sources are used simultaneously or singularly. Fuel consumption and emissions are reduced by nearly 50%.
- Mitsubishi Fuso
- Mitsubishi releases diesel hybrid truck in Japan - Mitsubishi Fuso has unveiled the most energy-efficient medium-duty truck in the world, the Canter Eco Hybrid. With its diesel-electric drivetrain, the Canter offers a Li-ion-powered electric motor that kicks into action during stop-and-go driving. (TreeHugger; July 6, 2006)
Fuel Cell / Electric
XP Vehicles - The Runabout and Mini Utility Vehicle are electric fuel cell "inflatables", based on aerospace technology. Estimated cost, $50K USD. 0-80 MPH < 10 seconds, and 400 MPG equivalent. (YouTube; 1.27 Minutes.) (Thanks Brad Woodworth)
- Microcab - An Urban, ultra light, city speed, 'short hop' taxi system with electric drive powered by a hydrogen fuel cell, pollution free and virtually silent in operation. The only emission is water vapour. Maximum speed 45kph (30mph). Range on full hydrogen tank approx. 160km (100miles).
- Lotus’ Bio-fueled IceCraft Glides Across the Antarctic - The Moon-Rega Transantarctic Expedition consists of of the Concept Ice Vehicle (CIV) that runs on E85 bio-ethanol and two other Science Support Vehicles. (Inhabitat; Dec. 2, 2008)
- Volvo Bi-Fuel S80 has a 5 cylinder 2.4 liter engine powered by compressed natural gas (CNG ) or biogas (methane) with gasoline as a back-up. Fuel cost is 20-60% less than gasoline and 20-40% less than diesel.
- XcelPlus International - FlexTek conversion technology plugs into the wiring harness to enable a vehicle’s fuel system to burn ethanol (E85), gasoline, or any blend of the two fuels, and offers an optional E85 Engine Preparation Kit that protects it from corrosion.
- Human-Powered >
Imagine PS Power Station Electric Hybrid Vehicle - HumanCar (video) - Fred Flintstone, move over. See how the HumanCar hits 60 mph on pure elbow grease and zero fossil fuel. To be made available on Earth Day, 2009. (CNN; Oct. 8, 2008)
- Solar Vehicles >
Solar Hybrids Soak Up the Sun - Johanson and the guys at Solar Electrical Vehicles will slap a solar panel on just about anything, and they've developed a DIY kit for the Toyota Prius that he says provides up to 20 miles of range and boosts fuel economy up to 29 percent. The company is testing its first solar energy system exclusively for hybrids in four "PV Prius" prototypes and a "PV Highlander." Video (Wired; Dec. 16, 2008)
- Steam Hybrid Engine - Clean Power Technologies - This project is to develop a vehicle with a steam hybrid engine. This technology can save up to 40% of the waste heat. This translates into a realistic improvement in fuel efficiency by up to 40%, combined with a correspondent one-third reduction in emissions. (CPT; Aug. 20, 2008)
- Revolutionary auto already on the road - The prototype vehicle, a zippy two-seat hatchback designed with more than a passing resemblance to the Volkswagen Beetle, can go about 60 miles on a single charge of its lithium battery and with practically zero emissions. "It's the world's first Stirling hybrid electric car, said Dean Kamen at DEKA. (Slashdot) (Union Leader; Nov. 9, 2008)
- Even with Coal Power, Plug-ins Beat Your Average Car - The graph put together by Tommy McCall and David Talbot MIT Technology Review (reg recd) compares plug-ins with each other, using different power sources. (EcoGeek; April 23, 2008)
- Flywheel Hybrid System Passes Crash Test - Flybrid Systems has demonstrated that its high-speed spinning flywheel system can survive a crash test. Compared to electrical-battery hybrids, the mechanical kinetic energy recovery system provides a more compact, efficient, lighter and environmentally-friendly solution. Flybrid uses a smaller and lighter flywheel than previous models. (Green Car Congress; Oct. 28, 2007)
- PowerPedia:Hybrid Adapter - A hybrid adapter, or HYBRAD, is a device which turns any passenger class vehicle into a multi-fuel / hybrid vehicle. One example is a hybrid adapter that simply plugs into the back of your vehicle and pushes it. Hybrid adapters run simultaneously, or in parallel, with your existing drivetrain.
- Integral Powertrain - SuperGen i-Hybrid delivers the performance and economy of high power full hybrid systems with a less complex system requiring significantly less electrical storage and power. Bringing together engine downsizing through pressure-charging, stop-start for city driving, torque assist and regenerative braking, in a single integrated unit, allows outstanding fuel economy improvement with low investment.
- Electromagnetic > Variable Torque Motors - Axial field weakening yields higher efficiency over the rpm range, creating a "built-in" transmission that mechanically enables an operating range up to 10x the motor base speed for electric vehicles. VTM offers hybrid retrofit packages installed on the drive shaft of rear wheel drive vehicles using Maxwell BoostCap™ ultracapacitors for energy storage.
- Clean Power Technologies - Developing novel power trains for hybrid vehicles using exhaust heat stored in a liquid energy reservoir, offering a potential fuel saving of up to 50%. The energy reservoir provides periods of totally non-polluting power in a closed vapour cycle in urban areas. Unlike a battery, it has a high power availability without fuel consumption for charging.
- F1 tech for road cars - Xtrac will exploit Torotrak’s full-toroidal traction drive to develop highly efficient CVTs for use in the new kinetic energy recovery systems (KERS) proposed for F1 motor racing. The system holds promise for use in road cars, storing kinetic energy in a flywheel, boosting fuel economy without complex electrical-battery hybrid architectures. (Gizmag; Jun. 6, 2007)
- Freightliner diesel electric hybrid - A medium-duty walk-in van with diesel-electric hybrid technology from Freightliner Custom Chassis Corp. was developed along with Eaton and Detroit Diesel. It shows a 50 percent improvement in fuel economy and a significant reduction in emissions. (AutoblogGreen; January 13, 2007)
- Van Cor Transmission - Symbiotic Drive runs both the gas engine and an electric motor at the same time in varied proportions to produce continuously variable output, an energy efficient process called “torque amplification". The two power sources are combined through a planetary system in which the electric motor can become an output generator when the gas engine is idling or when the vehicle is decelerating.
- HyKinesys - PowerBeam hybrid systems increase vehicular fuel efficiency by 100%, improve vehicle performance and reduce the cost of hybridizing vehicles. They are applicable to any road vehicle with any type of power train, whether gasoline, diesel, electric or fuel cell.
- Hybridcenter.org - New Union of Concerned Scientists website dedicated to presenting the facts about hybrid vehicles.
- Pneumatic-Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) Car that runs on compressed air.
- Hybrid Technologies - A development stage technology company that is focusing its resources and efforts on the development and marketing of electric powered vehicles.
- Enova - Electric Hybrid drive systems for light and heavy duty vehicles.
- IC Corporation Works with Enova Systems to Supply First Hybrid School Buses That Can Attain Up To 40 Percent Increase in Fuel Efficiency - New York, California, Texas, Florida, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Arkansas, Iowa and Washington will be the first states in the nation to receive hybrid school buses. Through its Plug-In Hybrid Electric School Bus Project, Advanced Energy, a Raleigh, N.C.-based nonprofit corporation, initiated a buyer's consortium of school districts, state energy agencies and student transportation providers. IC Corporation, the nation's largest school bus manufacturer, won the bid and will provide up to 19 hybrid school buses to those 11 states. (IC Corporation; July 27, 2006)
- Enova will Utilize Post Transmission Parallel Hybrid Drive Systems - The Electric Drive System is integrated behind the Transmission and is designed to be installed as a "drop in," into an OEM production line, or retrofitted into existing vehicles. It is a non-invasive system that requires few modifications to the vehicle. Fuel economy improvement is from 30% to 55% for a Charge Sustaining System (no overnight plug-in), and 70-100% for Charge Depleting Systems (requires overnight plug-in). (Enova Systems; September 11, 2006)
- 21ponies.com sells a video that shows how to transform a regular car into a hybrid vehicle.
- Hybrid Cars at eartheasy.com
- Coastal Electronic Technologies - Home of Custom Prius Accessories! The Electric Only Mode kit allows you to activate the electric feature of your Prius and drive for short distances without the engine running.
- The EV Wheel is a 5th wheel add-on. mIMA is a manually integrated motor assist.
- EV Pusher is a trailer with a diesel engine that pushes an electric vehicle on longer trips
- Solar Electrical Vehicles - SEV was created to develop a true solar charging system for Hybrid Electric Vehicles that provides increased electric driving range and improved fuel economy.
- Solatec - Rooftop-mounted, flexible Solar Photovoltaic Panel Kit for Toyota Prius Hybrid
- Lapp Renewables - The Photovoltaic Hybrid Car Project
- 75 MPG Hybrid Electric Car - Article at Mother Earth News - the car is driven by an electric motor . . . but that powerplant's "juice" is generated with the help of an ordinary, fuel-stingy lawn-mower engine!
- Pumpago.com - America dependent on domestic fuel - New activist site considers how America can reduce gasoline prices, gain independence from OPEC, create a new energy industry based on the gassification of coal. Considers the costs and benefits of biodiesel, ethanol, hydrogen, and hybrid cars.
- Americans Want More Fuel-Efficient Cars, US Hybrids Up 48% - Total US hybrid sales jumped 48.6% in August from last August, buoyed up by Cash for Clunkers. Americans did the patriotic thing with their clunker money, buying more American, and buying more hybrid cars. Ford was the big winner, making a big dent in Toyota’s hybrid sales. (Gas 2.0; September 8, 2009)
See also Directory:Trends
In the News
Commenced Apr. 17, 2010
- Fuel Efficiency > Hybrid Vehicles > Aptera >
Aptera Unveils 200-mpg 2E Prototype - On Wednesday, Aptera unveiled a design-intent prototype of the Aptera 2E. The all-electric vehicle—which was hours away from being shipped to Detroit to compete for the Automotive X Prize—wears a number of outwardly visible alterations from the earlier Typ-1 e prototype that will make it more suitable for daily use. (Popular Mechanics; Apr 15, 2010)
- Hybrid Cars - A visual directory of hybrid vehicle websites. (EnergyPlanet.info)
- GreenHybrid.com Real Hybrid Mileage Database - Median MPG (US) & Middle 50%. 27,727,877 mi - 24,668 tanks - 1,901 cars - 1 database.
- http://www.thehybridcars.net - Aims to become a guide to the available hybrid cars, technology and benefits of the cars, and how to get them, including renting a hybrid car.
- Plug-In.com - Documents and discusses the accelerating announcements of new hybrid vehicles and plug-in car technologies.
- Chevy Blog - Chevy Volt Prices - And the uncertainty of whether the vehicle will be available in 2010.
See Discussion page
ELECTRIC VEHICLES FOOTER
- Directory:Electric Vehicles | PowerPedia:Electric vehicle
- News:Electric Vehicles | 2008-2009 | 2006-2007
- Directory:Electric Cars
- Directory:Electric Trucks
- Directory:Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles -- PHEV
- Directory:Electric Bikes, Motorbikes and Scooters
- Directory:Electric Vehicle Recharging Stations
- Directory:Fuel Efficiency
- Template:Fuel Efficiency footer - many more listings
- Directory:Hybrid Vehicles
- Directory:Fuel Efficiency - main index
- News:Fuel Efficiency
- Fuel Efficient Vehicles
- Directory:Energy from Roadways
FUEL TREATMENT TECHNOLOGIES
- Fuel Additives
- Directory:Alternative Fuels
- Directory:Fuel Pre-Heating for Mileage Improvement
- Hydrogen Injection
- Directory:Running Vehicles on Water
- Directory:Clean Fuel Conversions
- Directory:Spark Plugs
- Directory:Hypermiling -- Driving Tips for Better Mileage
- Directory:Boron Additive
- Directory:Electric Vehicles
- Directory:Hybrid Vehicles
- Template:Electric Vehicles footer - more EV listings
VEHICLE HARDWARE MODIFICATIONS
- Directory:Air Cars