PESWiki.com -- Pure Energy Systems Wiki: Finding and facilitating breakthrough clean energy technologies.
Donations to PES are needed and greatly appreciated. Thank you.
- Geobioreactors (TM)
- A process that may provide opportunity to convert finite oil resources to long-term generation of natural gas.
- Luca Technologies scientists have shown that living microbial consortia are present and actively forming methane within some hydrocarbon substrates. Possibility for transferring cultures to other substrates.
Innefficient to Pump Oil after 50%
from LucaTechnologies.com > Residual Oil Deposits as a Substrate for Methane GeobioreactorsTM - Report by Roland DeBruyn, Mark Finkelstein, Glenn Ulrich, Gary Vanzin and Jeffrey L. Weber
- Unfortunately, only 25-35% of the oil in a typical reservoir can be cost-effectively brought to the surface. When enhanced recovery can be employed, total recovery seldom exceeds 50%. While there are also extraordinary exceptions to this norm, like the East Texas Oil Field with an estimated ultimate recovery of 76%, routinely more than half of the discovered oil is left in the ground. While technological advances and current high oil prices have allowed oil producers to economically continue to pump oil from many old fields, the above calculations indicate that there are at least 190 billion barrels of uneconomic residual oil remaining in the developed oil fields of the U.S.
Bacteria to the Rescue
Naturally-Occurring Bacteria, as well as planted Bacteria, can produce methane from the oil reserves, enabling the source to continue to be productive.
In the News
- Real-Time Methane Generation in Retired Oil Fields - Geobioreactors(TM) may provide opportunity to convert finite oil resource to long-term generation of natural gas. Luca Technologies scientists have shown that living microbial consortia are present and actively forming methane within some hydrocarbon substrates. Possibility for transferring cultures to other substrates. (PESN; April 29, 2005)
- Luca Technologies
- 1625 Broadway, Suite 2700, Denver, Colorado 80202
- 303.534.4344; 303.534.1446 Fax
Can a company lay a trademark claim to a naturally-occurring process that predated them by several million years?
See Discussion page
- Peak Oil -- NOT - Addresses Magma oil, which says that some oil comes from non-biological origin and is renewable.
- Directory:Microbial Enhanced Oil Recovery