PESWiki.com -- Pure Energy Systems Wiki: Finding and facilitating breakthrough clean energy technologies.
Directory:Eneco power chip
Eneco is a development stage company that claims to have invented and patented a "solid state energy conversion/generation chip" that will convert heat directly into electricity or alternatively refrigerate down to -200 degrees Celsius when electricity is applied.
On Jan. 11, 2008, the company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. (more) As of long before July, 2013, the successor company, MicroPower Global, has been thriving through their partnership with Texas State University.
- http://www.micropower-global.com - Company has bought the IP to the Eneco technology.
Jan. 11, 2008
- ENECO Files for Chapter 11 Protection - ENECO, one of the oldest LENR-related firms, filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy on Jan. 18. The firm's focus is now primarily on thermal to electric conversion devices. Harold "Lew" Brown said that funding challenges were a significant factor that led to the filing. They are still in operation. (New Energy Times; March 10, 2008)
- Press conference held by Dr Lew Brown, president and CEO of Eneco 
According to http://www.eneco.com/co_about.html
- Energy density efficiencies far in excess of all other available technologies.
- Its energy density (a measure of power production for a given weight or size) is 5 times better than current lithium-ion-batteries and 2-4 times better than future micro fuel cell capabilities projected for 2010.
- Reduced weight and size to fit with the new portable power needs of consumer electronics.
- Semiconductor technology that allows for efficient manufacturing, high reliability, long life, and low maintenance.
- Ability to convert waste heat economically and directly into electric power without moving parts to wear or make noise.
- Readily scaleable from very small to very large applications without losing efficiency or cost effectiveness.
How It Works
ENECO has developed the Thermal Chip, a new type of semiconductor device for direct energy conversion, which means it converts one form of energy to another without intermediate steps or moving parts.
Thermal Chips have the added advantage of working efficiently using any fuel source.
The chip apparently works using thermionic energy conversion whereby the thermal vibrational energy of a hot metal overcomes the electrostatic forces holding electrons to its surface. These free, excited electrons are then intercepted by a cold metal and through this process an electric current is generated and harnessed.
The main difficulty with exploiting this process at a commercial level has been in creating the vacuum between the two metals. But Eneco has overcome the problem by replacing the vacuum with, "a properly selected semiconductor thermoelectric that is thick enough to support a significant temperature differential between the emitter and the collector in order to achieve efficiencies of practical interest". (Brochure)
The result is a solid state energy conversion chip that can operate at temperatures of up to 600 degrees celcius and deliver absolute efficiencies in terms of how much heat energy is converted to electricity of between 20 and 30 percent.
Two operating modes:
- Power Mode - using the Thermal Chip to convert heat directly to electricity
- Cooling Mode - using the Thermal Chip to convert electricity directly into solid-state cooling/refrigeration
- http://www.eneco.com/technology.html - basic explanation
- http://www.eneco.com/tech_science.html - scientific explanation
Thermionic Energy Conversion
ENECO has obtained independent third party validation of its technology from multiple sources. The Company contracted with the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST, formerly the National Bureau of Standards) to confirm its measurement techniques and measurement results. Two reports were issued, both supporting the Company’s claims.
http://www.eneco.com/tech_patents.html - "The policy of the Company is to protect its inventions with domestic and international patents. Patents that are pioneering in the field have already been granted. Additional applications are prepared on an ongoing basis as technical developments are made."
Recent filings confirmed 48 patents issued or filed in the US and internationally:
- 1 US Patent pending
- 9 US Patents issued
- 4 PCT Patents pending
- 5 International Patents issued
- 29 International Patents pending
The subject matters include:
- Piezo-pyroelectric Energy Converter & Method
- Thermal Diode for Energy Conversion
- Hybrid Thermionic Energy Converter & Method
- Solid State Thermionic Refrigerator
- Hybrid Thermionic Energy Converter & Method
- Tunneling-effect Energy Converters
The Company has already undertaken contracts for the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), the U.S. Navy, and the National Science Foundation with support from US Magnesium Corp. A number of leading organizations and companies are negotiating with ENECO to develop products specific for their requirements.
US Magnesium Corp
- DOJ Files Civil Action Against MagCorp for PCB Violations - Leading U.S. polluter, US Magnesium Corporation of Salt Lake City, has been on the EPA's list as the largest toxic air polluter in the country. Though its emissions have improved, they are still significant. Local inventor said he demonstrated the successful burning of some of their emissions for energy and clean-up, but they declined to integrate the technique. (PESN; May 12, 2005)
Other "Eneco" Company
- Wind > High Efficiency > ENECO - WARP : Wind Amplified Rotor Platform speeds up the wind with a velocity amplification factor (VAF) in excess of 1.5 over free wind, resulting in a 450% increase in power. A WARP wind farm would need on average about 1/4 less land per kilowatt of energy generated. Projected cost $.02 to $.04/kWh or lower.
In the News
PES Network News Coverage
- Featured: News > SmartScarecrow > This Week in Free Energy™ >
Sterling's Weekly Free Energy Review on SmartScarecrow Show: July 18, 2013 - LENR Weekly • Infinite Energy: Issue 110: Spin-Top Model of the Universe • Keppe Motor Demonstration • How Consciousness Effects Breakthrough Timing • Hidro update • Tesla's Inventions on C2C with Professor Carlson • In Memory of Ken Shoulders (EVO) • Eneco Thermolectric Power Chip update (FreeEnergyNews)
- Featured: Thermal Electric > Eneco >
MicroPower (Eneco) Launches Thermal-Electric Power Chip Crowdfunding Project in Association with Texas State University - "Our project is to create the world’s most efficient semiconductor chip that converts waste heat directly to electricity three times more efficiently than ever before. One that helps reduce waste heat in many industries, saving energy, reducing harmful emissions, and conserving natural resources worldwide." (PESN; July 17, 2013)
- Featured: Thermal_Electric > Eneco_power_chip >
Eneco thermal-electric converter technology re-emerging - MicroPower Global of Texas has purchased the IP from the bankrupt Eneco, and has secured relationships with Texas State University to test and perfect the technology so it can be brought to market in order to harvest waste heat energy via a solid state chip. (PESN; May 11, 2010) (Comment)
- Eneco is Engineering Low-Heat-to-Electricity Conversion for Market - The science is done, what remains is to engineer for production, with applications such as waste-heat and concentrated solar energy harnessing. (PESN; Jan. 6, 2007)
Other News Coverage
- Apple and Eneco discuss turning heat into power (MacWorld; Nov. 21, 2006)
- Eneco details revolutionary power chip - Speaking in a hotel conference room near Tower Bridge late last week Dr Lew Brown, president and CEO of Eneco, is trying to convince a roomful of sceptical investors that its new chip technology will revolutionise the way we generate electricity. (ITWeek; UK; November 20, 2006)
- Eneco to tout heat to electricity microchip (ITWeek; UK; November 10, 2006)
See discussion page.
University of Utah Research Park
391-B Chipeta Way
Salt Lake City, Utah 84108