PESWiki.com -- Pure Energy Systems Wiki: Finding and facilitating breakthrough clean energy technologies.
Directory:Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP)
Directory of technologies and resources pertaining to electromagnetic pulse, addressing shielding from it, vulnerabilities to it, its causes, etc.
Commenced here on May 3, 2010.
Man-Made / Weaponized
- Featured: Gird Vulnerability > EMP >
High-powered Microwave Advanced Missile Project (CHAMP) -- EMP Cruise Missile - The U.S. Air Force and Boeing recently tested a cruise missile not too different from a drone that is capable of selectively targeting buildings with an EMP blast that doesn't harm civilians, but irreparably destroys electronics. How will you protect your family. Have you considered a hardened structure? (PESWiki; October 27, 2012)
- EMP threat is 'head-and-shoulders' above all others - Billionaire hedge fund manager Paul Singer has issued an unusual warning for investors, calling the threat of a widespread blackout from an electromagnetic surge the "most significant danger" in the world. (FreeEnergyBlog; July 31, 2014)
- North Korea developing electromagnetic pulse weapons (Free Energy Blog; November 8, 2013)
- Emergency Preparedness / US Gov / Electromagnetic > EMP >
Electronic Armageddon (video | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5) - Explorer investigates the science behind the dangers of a high-altitude electromagnetic pulse, or HEMP, from the vantage point of the President. Picture an instantaneous deathblow to the vital engines that power our society, delivered by a nuclear weapon designed not to kill humans but to attack electronics, crippling every aspect of modern society's infrastructure. (YouTube / DiscoveryTVChannel; July 16, 2010)
- Feature: Grid / EMP / U.S._Govt. and_Energy >
Remedies for Grid Vulnerabilities to Solar Flares - If a blast like the Carrington Event of 1859 occurred again, we could see 100 million people out of electricity for a couple years. However, installing 'surge protection' for the power grid would not be that expensive or difficult – especially when contrasted with the expense of unprotected components failing. A call to action. (PESWiki; July 16, 2010)
- Emergency Preparedness > EMP >
China Developing Super Electromagnet Pulse Bomb - In gearing up for possible conflicts or war with the United States, the top weapon China is developing is a super electromagnetic pulse bomb that can blanket the U.S. and send America back to the dark ages in less than one second. [Additional need for distributed energy that is EMP resilient] (Examiner; July 24, 2011)
- Featured: Grid / Emergency Preparedness >
Zero Hour: The Day The Grid Stood Still - There are several causal factors, natural and manmade, that could bring out modern grid to a stand-still, arguing for the need for distributed, hardened power. Disruption could come from electromagnetic pulse (EMP) from a military nuclear detonation, or it could come from a coronal mass ejection (CME) from the sun. (PESN; April 30, 2010)
- Emergency Preparedness / Grid > Vulnerability > EMP >
Recent Near Miss Warning Shot (BOGUS): Huge Solar Flare Almost Knocked Out Power Nationwide - Two weeks ago an EMP event from the Sun flashed across the Earth's orbit about two weeks before the Earth got there. It would have knocked out power, effecting cars and iPhones, etc. “for a long time.” Do we deserve such a thing? Efforts to protect the 2,000-3,000 transformers in the US grid are meeting with political resistance. (PureEnergyBlog; August 4, 2013)
- Planes Could Be Brought Down By DIY 'E-bombs' - Electromagnetic pulse weapons capable of frying the electronics in civil airliners can be built using information and components available on the net. All it would take to bring a plane down would be a single but highly energetic microwave radio pulse blasted from a device inside a plane, or on the ground and trained at an aircraft coming in to land. (New Scientist; April 1, 2009)
Renewable Energy and EMP
- Solar > PV / Emergency Preparedness > EMP >
Can solar panels withstand an EMP attack? - Forum responses: Most panels have bypass diodes fitted to the discrete series arrays within the panel. Panels are not normally just a mass of cells. With EMP exposure the inverter is the biggest concern since the PN junction of a microchip/fet/transistor is much much smaller than a PN wafer of a PV panel... (EnergyMatters; May 03, 2010)
Tubes were ubiquitous in the early generations of electronic devices, such as radios, televisions, and early computers such as the Colossus which used 2000 tubes, the ENIAC which used nearly 18,000 tubes, and the IBM 700 series. Vacuum tubes inherently have higher resistance to the electromagnetic pulse effect of nuclear explosions. This property kept them in use for certain military applications long after transistors had replaced them elsewhere. Vacuum tubes are still used for very high-powered applications such as microwave ovens, industrial radio-frequency heating, and power amplification for broadcasting. Tubes are also considered by many people in the audiophile, professional audio, and musician communities to have superior audio characteristics over transistor electronics, due to their warmer, more natural tone. There are many companies which still make specialized audio hardware featuring tube technology. 
Source: http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread59555/pg1 - contains extensive information about various EMP weapons and how they work.
- Directory:Electrical Grid Vulnerability
- Directory:Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP)
- Directory:Bio-Energetics#Environmental Electromagnetic Concerns
- Directory: Remedies for Grid Vulnerabilities to Solar Flares
- PowerPedia:Distributed Generation
- Directory:Smart Grid