PESWiki.com -- Pure Energy Systems Wiki: Finding and facilitating breakthrough clean energy technologies.
Compact Fluorescent Lighting Overview
Compact Fluorescent Lighting is an easily overlooked energy saving technology. Compact Fluorescents have been around for well over a decade. Many people took a look at them when they were first introduced and quickly forgot about them as early models were quirky and expensive.
Compact Fluorescents have come down in price in recent years and many models are now shaped like traditional light bulbs, even giving off the familiar soft white light people have grown accustomed to. They are also far more long lasting and energy efficient than traditional incandescent light bulbs.
Compact Fluorescent Lighting Advantages
Compact Fluorescents have actually gained a market share of around 5% in recent years for a variety of reasons. They are very useful for hard to replace lighting, because compact fluorescents last much longer (up to 10 times longer) than traditional incandescent light bulbs. They offer significant energy efficiency advantages over incandescent lighting (around 4 times more efficient or 75% savings on electricity consumption), and thus save the consumer considerable amounts of money in electricity costs over the life of their operation. A house that is entirely switched over from incandescents to fluorescents could reasonably expect to cut their electric bill by one-third to one-half by using Compact Fluorescents, depending upon the usage of other electric appliances. That is a considerable amount of savings if an electric bill averages $100 to $150 per month.
- Brightness and Color of Light Comparison between Incandescents and CFLs - (Environmental Defense Fund")
- Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFLs) Are They Worth the Switch? - Has an Energy Saving Calculator and compares CFLs to Incandescents energy use.
- Featured: Lighting > CFL / Electromagnetic > Solid State > Don Bell >
Free Energy for the Downcast -- "One Man's Trash..." Revolution Commencing - Dallas inventor, Donald Bell, has three technologies he's rolling out to make energy more affordable; and he's using discarded items as his building material to give away to Dallas County residents a free CFL lamp with 75-W incandescent output equivalent that runs for 5 days continuous. He also has a home lighting package and a self-charging cell phone that harness power radio waves. (PESN and BeforeItsNews; October 3, 2011)
- Compact Fluorescent Lighting (CFL) Downsides (separate page at PESWiki) - While we applaud the trend toward more energy efficiencies, like anything else, compact fluorescent bulbs have a down side. This page is presented to document some of those, so an informed decision can be made, and by pointing out the problems, solutions might be produced/encouraged.
In the News
- 'Light within a light' offers CFL efficiency with incandescent bulb shape - General Electric will start selling a new "ship in a bottle" lightbulb - a fluorescent spiral bulb trapped inside a traditional incandescent-shaped bulb. Video (PhysOrg; Dec. 12, 2008)
- Do Fluorescent Bulbs Light the Way to the Future? - A compact fluorescent light bulb (CFL) is a tiny spiralled version of the long overhead lights in your office, that fits into the same fixtures as regular bulbs. The CFLs cost more, but use about one-third of the electricity of the incandescent bulbs. onebillionbulbs.com is a web site promoting CFLs. (NPR; Feb. 8, 2007)
Inventor: Ed Hammer
- Ed Hammer Interview - (Consumer Reports; Aug. 29, 2008)
- Compact Fluorescent: The Challenge of Manufacturing - Who invented what in manufacturing equipment to go from handcraft to mass-production.
Companies Offering Compact Fluorescents
- East Power Development Ltd Manufacturer and exporter of 12V DC Compact Fluorescent Solar Lamps,DC Light fixture,Energy saving lamps.
- Light bulb glows energy-free - American Environmental Products debuted the After-Lite, $20 USD, a compact fluorescent lamp that can shine light without any electricity or battery power. An attachment clipped to the top of the compact fluorescent bulb's spiral, contains an advanced photoluminescent, or a refined phosphorous product. (Daily Camera; Oct 27, 2008)
- Provide Fluorescent lamp 12V 24V DC Compact Fluorescent lamp,Energy saving lamp for all solar, wind and battery powered lighting systems
- Directory:Compact Fluorescent Lighting (CFL) Downsides
- Directory:Light Emitting Diodes
- Directory:Field Emission Lamps