PESWiki.com -- Pure Energy Systems Wiki: Finding and facilitating breakthrough clean energy technologies.
Donations to PES are needed and greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Directory:Advanced Diamond Solutions' amorphous nanostructures
Advanced Diamond Solutions is developing thermionic solar cells using amorphous diamond nanostructures that offer potential efficiencies of 50% at half the cost of silicon solar cells. As a thermal electric generator, amorphous diamond is superior to other materials. The material has a high heat threshhold, with an expected life-span of 40 to 50 years.
The 50% efficiency of turning sunlight into electricity has been demonstrated in ideal lab conditions. The technology includes both a photon element as well as a heat element, and can be applied in either or both contexts.
These applications are a spin-off of previous work done by the company in the semiconductor industry. Seeking ways to cool the chips, they came upon this capability of converting light and heat to electricity.
As of Nov. 2007, the company says they are about 12-18 months away from its first commercial applications, starting with coatings to be applied to existing photovoltaic cells to enhance their efficiency by around 20%; then eventually producing stand-alone cells that will make silicone largely obsolete. Harvesting waste heat from power plants, for example, is another industry they plan to tackle soon.
As fossil fuel prices continue to rise, and cell manufacturing efficiencies increase, the company expects to become competative with fossil fuel energy prices within a few years.
- Download (13 Mb; mp3) - On Nov. 19, 2007, Sterling D. Allan conducted a live, 1-hour interview with Barnas Monteith as part of the Free Energy Now radio series.
How it Works
The 50% efficiency in the lab has been published in peer review journals and replicated or is in process of being tested by a number of universities, including:
- Northern Illinois Univ.
- Purdue Univ.
- Tufts Univ.
Filed under the name of Dr. James Sung, who holds several active patents in the diamond industry.
- Amorphous diamond coating
- Active cooling mechanism
Company: Advanced Diamond Solutions, Inc.
Privately held company, presently privately funded. In the past, they have been funded by U.S. Air Force and the U.S. Department of Defence, given the space applications.
They envision the Advanced Diamond Solution process to gradually become a standard component of future photovoltaic manufacturing.
Advanced Diamond Solutions Inc. is a technical leader in a wide variety of industrial diamond products, featuring our flagship product HeaThru, which is not related to renewable energy. It is a revolutionary diamond/copper composite with extremely high thermal conductivity and semiconductor-compatible thermal expansion properties for use within the IC thermal management industry. The energy applications came as a spin-off of their work in the semiconductor industry.
Dr. James Sung is the company president. Two others are key in the administration of the company: his son, Mike Sung, and Barnas Monteith.
In the News
- Google News > Advanced Diamond Solutions - null as of Nov. 20, 2007.
- Google > "Advanced Diamond Solutions" - 700+ returns as of Nov. 20, 2007.
See Discussion Page
- Have sails of personal very-low-mass-aircraft (hang gliders, micorlights, ultralights) on BOTH sides covered with the coming new product to produce electricity to run a propeller or to run an air compressor to store compressed air to use for a propeller for launching the craft to thermal-seeking altitude. Light from direct sun and light reflected from below would be used to generate electricity for powering the aircraft. Insulate the pilot and draw off his or her heat to generate electricity with the Advanced Diamon Solutions' amorphous nanostructures.
Advanced Diamond Solutions
12 Inman Street, Suite 15
Cambridge, MA 02139 USA
Telephone: +1 617 291 3497